• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating poopies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Ugh my Plum-head likes to eat just about everything and I have even caught him eating his poop! I was curious if anyone else has this problem with their birds?

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
My budgies all do this - with dogs eating poop its usually sign that they are hungry, or not get the right nutrition, but I dont know if its the same with birds. My budgies are pretty spoiled!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
My budgies all do this - with dogs eating poop its usually sign that they are hungry, or not get the right nutrition, but I dont know if its the same with birds. My budgies are pretty spoiled!
I don't know about that. My dog Trax just LOVES poops! And so does his Dad and every one of his siblings! I think it's genetic or they are just dysfunctional :lol: And I guarantee he gets plenty to eat and eats very good food :D

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I don't know about that. My dog Trax just LOVES poops! And so does his Dad and every one of his siblings! I think it's genetic or they are just dysfunctional :lol: And I guarantee he gets plenty to eat and eats very good food :D

In most cases its a nutritional thing, but often the dog can just smell the by products from the dog food in the poo and thinks its as good as kibble and just eats it right up! Can really be one or the other, but we are trained to speak with owners about diet when we see a dog do this and 9 times out of ten it turns out the food they feed has too much filler and not enough protien, or they arent feeding enough per day, etc.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

In most cases its a nutritional thing, but often the dog can just smell the by products from the dog food in the poo and thinks its as good as kibble and just eats it right up! Can really be one or the other, but we are trained to speak with owners about diet when we see a dog do this and 9 times out of ten it turns out the food they feed has too much filler and not enough protien, or they arent feeding enough per day, etc.
Hmm very interesting! Trax loves it so much that as a puppy he used to follow Smokey around the backyard just waiting :rofl:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
this is actually a sign of chloine deficiency and can be remedied quite easily...get yourself some brewer's yeast..can be purchased at any health food store and is very cheap...sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon on their food each day...mix it in....it is full of the necessary vitamins, minerals etc and really helps to eliminate this nasty habit...

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
what about if your dog likes to eat bird poop, but not dog poop? :huh:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
what about if your dog likes to eat bird poop, but not dog poop? :huh:
I think they are just being dogs ;) My dogs love to check out what the birds left for them. They rush over to see! :lol:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I think they are just being dogs ;) My dogs love to check out what the birds left for them. They rush over to see! :lol:
This is her favorite thing in the whole world. She will sit and wait underneath the birds, and when one of them poops, I swear I've never seen this dog move so fast. She gobbles it up, along with their leftover seed husks thrown from food dishes, any half-consumed pellets or treats that get dropped, and of course nutri-berries. And I'm not kidding, this dog gets fed a pumped diet, and I feed her boiled chicken and steak on accasion as a treat...it's not like she doesn't get "good food" ever...:rolleyes:
But nothing tops birdie poo for her.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega

This is her favorite thing in the whole world. She will sit and wait underneath the birds, and when one of them poops, I swear I've never seen this dog move so fast. She gobbles it up, along with their leftover seed husks thrown from food dishes, any half-consumed pellets or treats that get dropped, and of course nutri-berries. And I'm not kidding, this dog gets fed a pumped diet, and I feed her boiled chicken and steak on accasion as a treat...it's not like she doesn't get "good food" ever...:rolleyes:
But nothing tops birdie poo for her.
Terrible yet funny at the same time :D

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
this is actually a sign of chloine deficiency and can be remedied quite easily...get yourself some brewer's yeast..can be purchased at any health food store and is very cheap...sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon on their food each day...mix it in....it is full of the necessary vitamins, minerals etc and really helps to eliminate this nasty habit...
For dogs or birds?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
both..with dogs you increase the dosage of course....about a teaspoon on their food....

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

You are right. Some dogs just do it and the truth is we don't know for sure why they do it but it's a behavioral disorder and not caused from a deficiency (as was once thought) or because they are hungry, they just do it. Some dogs only eat their own poop, sometimes only other dogs poop, it's called coprophagia.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
You are right. Some dogs just do it and the truth is we don't know for sure why they do it but it's a behavioral disorder and not caused from a deficiency (as was once thought) or because they are hungry, they just do it. Some dogs only eat their own poop, sometimes only other dogs poop, it's called coprophagia.
Oh Trax isn't picky. He will eat any poop he can. It is so weird that every one of his siblings and half siblings and father all have this nasty habit. The trick is to always pick up the poos as fast as possible and I limit how much unsupervised outside he gets.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have a few words of advice for Angela and Heather! No mouth kissies from your Fids!!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Oh Trax isn't picky. He will eat any poop he can. It is so weird that every one of his siblings and half siblings and father all have this nasty habit. The trick is to always pick up the poos as fast as possible and I limit how much unsupervised outside he gets.
It's also a learned behavior in that they can learn it from another dog:( I have to pick up poop first thing in the morning.....or.....else:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.