• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating (Long Post Sorry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
As most people here know, I'm not a pellet feeder to my birds....I am a BIG believer in feeding FRESH veggies/fruits and I give my birds bridy bread in the evening....I have been doing this for years....I also have elimenated seeds also....but I do sprouts/legumes/grains....flowers...
FRESH (not frozen) doesn't spoil..it dries out during the day...(yes I have / do give frozen veggies when I need to)
I also use Cinn./Cayenne/Hot Peppers/Ginger in their foods and what ever herbs I can get my hands on....Before I moved, I was using a lot of wild plants from my yard also....
They get their wet food in the AM ....all cut to the size of my thumbnail...a bird will only eat a couple of bites out of each food....I have very little food left when I feed at night (4PM)....the fresh is emptied and the birdy bread is fed...here again cut to the size of my thumb nail...
Thread about my AM feeding:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/1231-bfs-fresh-foods-her-birds-morning.html

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hi Billie Faye. Thanks for the great information. I'll be adding herbs to Slater's food now too! Do you use fresh herbs? I'm a visual person so thanks for the link.

As most people here know, I'm not a pellet feeder to my birds....I am a BIG believer in feeding FRESH veggies/fruits and I give my birds bridy bread in the evening....I have been doing this for years....I also have elimenated seeds also....but I do sprouts/legumes/grains....flowers...
FRESH (not frozen) doesn't spoil..it dries out during the day...(yes I have / do give frozen veggies when I need to)
I also use Cinn./Cayenne/Hot Peppers/Ginger in their foods and what ever herbs I can get my hands on....Before I moved, I was using a lot of wild plants from my yard also....
They get their wet food in the AM ....all cut to the size of my thumbnail...a bird will only eat a couple of bites out of each food....I have very little food left when I feed at night (4PM)....the fresh is emptied and the birdy bread is fed...here again cut to the size of my thumb nail...
Thread about my AM feeding:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/1231-bfs-fresh-foods-her-birds-morning.html

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When I add pellets/seed to foraging toys most of it falls out of the toy before he gets a chance to eat it. How do you get the stuff to stay inside so he can eat it?
What kind of foraging toys do you have?

A lot of times, most of the goodies in foraging toys falls out. So I put just a little in it. It makes them be a bit more careful of how they hold and handle their foraging toys,

I used to put harrison pellets in their foraging toys and use TOPs as their main food (least favored pellet out of harrisons and Tops), Now I just put 2 tablespoon of pellets (total) in their food dish per day, use TOPs in their mashes and birdie breads, and only seed and nuts go into foraging toys.

I use this for my amazons, and 'toos (and for my scarlet macaw).

Spring Treat Capsule for Parrots and Birds, I'd put 1 tablespoon of seed/nuts in this total (the most food I put into a foraging toy.

And then about 1/4 tablespoon of seed/nuts in all of these(and I put pieces of paper, graffitti paper, Popsicle sticks, and other foraging stuffers in these):

Rings of Fortune Parrot Enrichment Toy

3 Drawer Cubes Parrot Toy

Learn & Turn Logs Parrot and Bird Toy

Parrot Foraging Wheel

Here is a couple examples of how I stuff a foraging toy(I dont put too much food in them anymore, only a couple pieces of seed and nut and fruit in each part):

In toys like this(see link below), I only put 1 seed or 1 small piece of nut or dried fruit.

Barrel of Fun Parrot and Bird Toy

A home made foraging wrap, has a couple pieces of dried fruit, pine nuts, or a nutriberry or piece of avicake in it:

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Hi Billie Faye. Thanks for the great information. I'll be adding herbs to Slater's food now too! Do you use fresh herbs? I'm a visual person so thanks for the link.
You can grow a lot of herbs in pots for doing fresh but dried is OK too...I just like fresh and so do the birds.....Spices are also GREAT! STAR ANISE IS TO DIE FOR!:hug8:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
I have all of those foraging toys except for the Learn & Turn Logs. He's figured out most all of them except for the Rings of Fortune. I think he was a little too you when I tried so I might try again.

Thanks for the great reply.

What kind of foraging toys do you have?

A lot of times, most of the goodies in foraging toys falls out. So I put just a little in it. It makes them be a bit more careful of how they hold and handle their foraging toys,

I used to put harrison pellets in their foraging toys and use TOPs as their main food (least favored pellet out of harrisons and Tops), Now I just put 2 tablespoon of pellets (total) in their food dish per day, use TOPs in their mashes and birdie breads, and only seed and nuts go into foraging toys.

I use this for my amazons, and 'toos (and for my scarlet macaw).

Spring Treat Capsule for Parrots and Birds, I'd put 1 tablespoon of seed/nuts in this total (the most food I put into a foraging toy.

And then about 1/4 tablespoon of seed/nuts in all of these(and I put pieces of paper, graffitti paper, Popsicle sticks, and other foraging stuffers in these):

Rings of Fortune Parrot Enrichment Toy

3 Drawer Cubes Parrot Toy

Learn & Turn Logs Parrot and Bird Toy

Parrot Foraging Wheel

Here is a couple examples of how I stuff a foraging toy(I dont put too much food in them anymore, only a couple pieces of seed and nut and fruit in each part):

In toys like this(see link below), I only put 1 seed or 1 small piece of nut or dried fruit.

Barrel of Fun Parrot and Bird Toy

A home made foraging wrap, has a couple pieces of dried fruit, pine nuts, or a nutriberry or piece of avicake in it:

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you guys know how Slater did with eating his fresh veggies today. I couldn't wait to get home to see how he did. He at about 90% of everything I gave him and only a few small pieces were on the bottom of the cage! I was very proud of him!!! Yay Slater!!!! Thanks you guys for all your help.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you guys know how Slater did with eating his fresh veggies today. I couldn't wait to get home to see how he did. He at about 90% of everything I gave him and only a few small pieces were on the bottom of the cage! I was very proud of him!!! Yay Slater!!!! Thanks you guys for all your help.
:dance4::dance4:Good bird Slater!! Karen I took a picture of Carlo's fresh food dish this morning to show you a sample of what I give him.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.