• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Eating habits

Heli Angel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Heliana
Please I need some advice... I adopted an Amazon parrot last February, I think he is not that young because “JACK” lived with her human mom for 25 years. She was a senior lady who died at the age of 102 years. They lived the last 7 months in a small room at the Care facility. She raised him mostly on human’s food and now I am having hard time trying to teach him to eat Parrot’s food as the main food. I tried different pallets from the pet store (here in Canada - Okanagan area) and JACK only picks and eats few little things. Even eating a bit has improving his colours. Any suggestions what food can be yummy for Jack? I have been working with him a lot trying to improve his wild behaviour and I can see some improvement but I am not having that much luck with his eating habits

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There are some who feel that pellets are not necessary. I’m currently feeding a mostly raw whole food diet. Look for C4AW.org or go to facebook and search Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition. The only pellet food I give them is TOPS (except I had bought a ton of Roudybush, so that too for now) ... and that is mixed in with lots of nutritious foods. It’s not the main thing.

You can feed tons of veggies, some fruit, and a little bit of nuts (too many is fatty). I soak nuts to make the nutrition in them more viable, and the other food you can try is sprouts. Sprouting seed is very easy and a great source of nutrition.

Hubby just said let’s go - I’ll write more later. ;)

Heli Angel

Real Name
Heliana
Thank you! He was used to toast with jam, bacon and sausages. He hates veggies. Finally he eats carrots and a bit of apple

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Amazons get Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites Pellets (medium), cooked mixed veggies (corn, carrots, lima beans, green beans and peas), various dehydrated chops. They also get Lafeber Avicakes, Lafeber Parrot Popcorn, Avian Organics Baked Treats. You can also try mashes and Birdie Breads (as per Tanya's link). My Amazons won't eat either of those but maybe yours will. You can use that link to find the various baked treats. My Amazons' favorites are Mango Ginger Minis and Chia Kale Crisps. It's good that he has started eating some fruits and veggies. Avicakes are a combination of seeds and pellets. You can also try Lafeber Nutriberries. There are different varieties. Food for Pet Birds & Small Mammals - Lafeber Company I recently started my BFA on the Senior Nutriberries for Parrots.

Heli Angel

Real Name
Heliana
From Pet Smart:

-Tropical Carnival Gourmet food Small Hookbill

- Pure Fun (Bird food for Parrots & Conures

-Vitakraft VitaSmart Complete Nutrition

From Walmart:
Extreme!
Gourmet Parrot Good

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are better pellets available: Roudybush, Caitec Oven Fresh Bites, Harrison's, Mazuri Bird Maintenance
Sometimes if you contact/email the manufacturer they will send you samples.

Heli Angel

Real Name
Heliana
I tried too from Amazon :
Tropical Lifetime Maintenance Parrot Granules.

Thank you for all your information.