• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating feather dust

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyon, I have a 6 month old cockatiel. As we know cockatiels have white powder that comes from their feather. I have noticed that while preening my cockatiel eats the white powder that falls from him. I was wondering if anyone knows what this behaviour means. Thank you all

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump8:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I’ve seen my tiel playing with the down feathers that he preens out. Like, nibbling them with his beak, sort of rolling them around, touching them with his tongue. But he drops them eventually and goes back to preening.
I don’t think I’ve seen him actually eat the dust or down on purpose though.
Does it happen while your bird preens, or does he walk around the bottom of the cage looking for it later, or something else?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have seen my birds chew on it. You think he's ingesting it?

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Maybe a quick spritz of water when you see him do that will do the trick. I’m not sure whether ingesting normal or not.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe budgieluv3 is right & your bird might like a bath/ shower offered.

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
I’ve seen my tiel playing with the down feathers that he preens out. Like, nibbling them with his beak, sort of rolling them around, touching them with his tongue. But he drops them eventually and goes back to preening.
I don’t think I’ve seen him actually eat the dust or down on purpose though.
Does it happen while your bird preens, or does he walk around the bottom of the cage looking for it later, or something else?
I’ve seen him ingest the white powder but he doesn’t go looking for them. I’ve also never seens him eat an actual feather just the white powder that falls. It’s like when he preens and his powder falls on my shirt or something he will pick them up after he finishes preening and it somes. It honestly looks like it interests him when he sees simething on my shirt but I am still not sure if this is normal or not.

Saharr98

Meeting neighbors
Maybe a quick spritz of water when you see him do that will do the trick. I’m not sure whether ingesting normal or not.
I give him a bath usually once a week, maybe more would be beneficial