• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating eggs

Whoviana

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Tara
We have been slowly introducing Sunflower to new foods, and we gave her some scrambled eggs. She absolutely loves them. I was wondering how much she can eat. Right now, she eats one egg a week, and I give her a little bit each day for about four days. It's her new favorite food, and I was wondering if she can eat them every day, and if she can have more than just a little bit of an egg.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Too much protein can be harmful to your bird, especially if she isn't breeding or growing. I feel that you could give her a little more, depending on how much protein she's already getting, but I am not sure how much more.

Hopefully a conure person will come along with your answer!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Eggs are a great source of many nutrients - especially the yolks!! They are rich in things like Vitamin D3 :)

That being said, animal fat and proteins are one of the things linked to heart disease in pet birds. So I really don't like to feed them very often anymore per my vet. I do add a 2-3 eggs to their bird bread, of which they get about a 1/2" to 1" cube a day, but otherwise I do not feed them straight egg anymore.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you feed too much protein you're also going to trigger a hormone cycle. I would feed it sparingly like any other high protein food.