• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eating dry poop?

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Hi! So another minor issue with my IRN, Zazu. He picks up dry poop and eat it and sometimes it’s his own, sometimes it’s my cockatiel’s :depressed:
As much as I try my best cleaning their droppings in the living room whenever I see it, sometimes I miss a couple. It gets dry and my poop-eater (yes, he earned this nickname) starts chewing it :wtf:
What could possibly lead to this kind of “cravings”? Are all birds like that? And how potentially damaging it can be for his health?
if he’s deficient in something, what could it be? 66A95D6D-6931-4CD1-830D-3DB853E4F21F.jpeg
Busted on the crime scene :D btw, he really knows that if i see him chewing on poop, i would remove it from his mouth, so he started hiding like this.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi! So another minor issue with my IRN, Zazu. He picks up dry poop and eat it and sometimes it’s his own, sometimes it’s my cockatiel’s :depressed:
As much as I try my best cleaning their droppings in the living room whenever I see it, sometimes I miss a couple. It gets dry and my poop-eater (yes, he earned this nickname) starts chewing it :wtf:
What could possibly lead to this kind of “cravings”? Are all birds like that? And how potentially damaging it can be for his health?
if he’s deficient in something, what could it be? View attachment 342030
Busted on the crime scene :D btw, he really knows that if i see him chewing on poop, i would remove it from his mouth, so he started hiding like this.
Funny my ringneck does this if I dont clean the dried up poop from the bottom of his cage he will go to the bottom and pick the dried poop and eat it. Fresh poop not so much he pooped saw it put it in his mouth and flicked it barely missing me and landing on the floor. Maybe it's a ringneck thing.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sometimes Blizzard will pick dry poop off of perches or the bottom of the cage and crush it in her beak, but I don’t think she actually eats it because I always see her drop the pieces out of her beak.