• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Easter egg foil?

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
My budgie (Smokey) just chewed on some of my easter egg foil. I had it on my bedside table for a short while and when i noticed him there was quite a large area missing on one of the eggs. I have gotten him to eat a fair amount of water and seeds (he won’t eat any fruits or vegetable I try to give him) and I’m worried he has ingested some. there was a fair amout of small foil pieces on the table where he dropped them, but he is acting normal. he is singing, eating and preening and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong, but they can hide illness well. I just want to know if there is anything else i can do? He is a bit more than a year old and i want the best for him!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can try to feed some almond or peanut butter to hopefully pick up on any pieces he may have ingested

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
You can try to feed some almond or peanut butter to hopefully pick up on any pieces he may have ingested
i don’t think we have any peanut butter. he keeps clicking his beak repeatedly, is that normal?

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
he keeps clicking his beak repeatedly, is that normal?
He is most likely beak grinding. My budgies did that all the time :) Perfectly normal. Is there any foil/pieces in his poop?

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
He is most likely beak grinding. My budgies did that all the time :) Perfectly normal. Is there any foil/pieces in his poop?
i can’t see any, although some have been quite watery. most likey because i gave him a fair amount of water. one was full liquid, maybe 15 minutes after i gave him the water. thank you so much for helping by the way

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
Thanks for the advice, but now I have another issue. He is pushing his head out a bit and opening his beak while pushing his tounge to the left side. It doesn’t look like he is trying to regurgitate or anything, i noticed him doing it yesterday but only a few random times. Any ideas?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you fed some almond or (bird safe) peanut butter yet?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like crop adjusting, which can be normal but if it's not something you usually see, I would be worried some of the foil is stuck in his crop

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
X-ray at vet

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
Have you fed some almond or (bird safe) peanut butter yet?
i haven’t had a chance, it was late at night before and mum is sill asleep. She won’t let me go down on my own. She likes to wait and see if any other symptoms come up before doing anything, and i’m not sure he would even eat the peanut butter. He doesn‘t eat fruits or vegetables, i’ve tried everything i can think of.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Call the vet and a get an appointment is all I can suggest to ensure your bird is ok.
I’m sorry your mum isn’t being as responsible for your bird as you’d like, that saddens me for both you and your bird. I don’t know what to suggest to you in this situation- TBH if that was my bird it would have already been fed peanut or almond butter and also had a vet appointment booked in. If you believe your bird ate tin foil it needs to get the correct assistance to pass the foil or remove it.
Can you ask a neighbor for some peanut butter maybe? Your bird is unlikely to deliberately let you know if it’s not well as they hide illness as long as they can- by the time we see symptoms it can be way too late to help them.

CrazyBirbs

Moving in
Turns out we did have peanut butter, my sibling was using it when i was looking for it. I tried to get him to eat it, but he didn’t eat it. I mixed it in his favourite seed, did it plain, put some on my finger for him to try but he would actually eat it. When mum wakes up i’ll ask her, we don’t have an avian vet nearby so a normal one will have to do if i can convince her to take him there. Thanks so much for your help. It’s been around more than 24 hours, do you think it might be gone now? or most of it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's really hard to know with the information provided and without tools (x-rays, as mentioned) to find out for sure. Him adjusting his crop either is totally normal or an indication of something being stuck (which would explain why you haven't seen any in the droppings).