• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Easter Canaries are home!

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Greetings and good morrow folks!

So Jaron is now home! In an unexpected twist, his/her momma came home too. I haven't chosen a name for her as yet as this was completely unexpected.

Jaron can fly and eats on her/his own, but still harasses momma to feed him a fair bit. And she does a bit then flies off and tries to dodge him/her. Is this the norm? She will eventually tell the youngster to go eat for themself, wont she?

They are on red factor food now, so next moult will be interesting to see if there is any colour change.

I do have one question. What do you folks use on the cage bottom for your canaries/finches? The store uses pine pellets but I have been programmed to stay away from pine with all my other animals, it seems off to use it on my canaries (wow that feels odd to say - MY canaries :) ). I have newsprint on the bottom of the cage now. Figure it can't hurt them short term even if it isn't the best choice.

Thank you for your time ;) I am actually a Canary Owner now :)

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
We also use newspaper!

DreamQuestin

Moving in
Real Name
Deb Johnston
Good to know :). I do know that our local paper uses vegetable based inks so even if they pull paper up through the grid, they should be fine. The only think I am still searching for is a bird bath. I love the ones they use at the store. They are like crockery dishes with a hooded lid. Means they aren't going to poop in the water as they fly about. Can't find them anywhere though.

With a smile,
DreamQuestin (aka Deb)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your additions!