• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Easiest "First Bird"

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi

I agree with others I don’t think any birds a starter bird as they all have different personalities in each species and also as humans we have different expectations for what we want and different experiences in our lives that may affect bringing a certain bird into our lives

9years ago I had two budgies first one Henry was amazing chose us in the pet shop and was friendly since day one never bite loved being with us and was so good with my son he had massive high energy though always on go and wanted to be part of everything all the time
Second budgie sunny wasn’t the same in anyway would bite us even if we had millet in our hands bite finger over millet was calmer than Henry energy wise but just liked to be her own bird spending time fly and chatting away she was such a pleasure to watch but she was more of a watch bird than interact bird

I also had a female cockatiel she was friendly but probably worse bird I’ve ever owned only for the reason she would scream from the minute the sun came up until you let her out and always wanted to be with Henry when they were out together and would scream if he wasn’t in her sight this is probably my fault some how but I didn’t go anything different from Henry or sunny or my lovebirds I have now but I dont think I would ever own a cockatiel again I had to rehome her as I had very bad morning sickness (all day) even being sick in my sleep Henry and sunny did ok with being let out when I was upto it but gizmo didn’t her new owner said she screamed for them too when in her cage even with her cockatiel buddy but they loved her for who she was as did I but my life changed and I wasn’t able to
Manage her

I looked after my next door neighbor African grey for three months while she went to look after her dieing mum wow what an amazing bird Alfie was but it was like having a two year old constantly he was so clever and needed a lot a mental stimulation and he was so loud he was hard work at times very stubborn
loved my time with him would love to own one
He learnt to speak like me to point I was in bath my husband was in kitchen James came looking for me with a cup of tea he said you just asked for a cuppa it was Alfie :heart::rofl: and all you could hear was Alfie laughing

I now have two lovebirds again both are very different personalities

Pico Is hand raised had him since he was 1/12 years about 7months now he’s been friendly since day one bite a fair bit at first especially if your not paying him attention bug I’ve got him out of that now
he quite in his cage loves playing and foraging toys as a massive cage and uses every inch of it he’s very active very high energy very friendly loves to be with me but is settled on his own in cage when not out and about he’s noisy when he’s out tho chatting away to me and very loud when he does his shirk in my ear :bored:he’s my adhd bird haha:rofl: he can do tricks but it’s on his terms like most things he will fly to his perch and wave when he wants to do tricks for treats he as good recall but doesn’t leave my side (shoulder much to be fair )

indie I’ve had since 10weeks old 5th of March got her so she’s about 6months old she was parent raised it melts my heart that I’ve gained her trust means the world to see her happy and content in my presence even if she’s not a fan of hands she will recall to my arm shoulder
She’s calmer than pico out of cage loves to do tricks for treats but is much more independent loves to fly around or sit on boing in window chatting to wild birds that sit on fence she’s just started to be cage aggressive loves to play bells are a favourite and forage shed paper cardboard toys etc finger traps being a fav she’s noisy than pico In cage chatting away to herself or maybe pico he answers sometimes but it’s not annoying and it’s not all day

I love my lovebirds definitely my favourite bird I’ve owned !

green check concure are my dream bird but I do have a massive soft spot for lovebirds they definitely know their own minds

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe people should get the species that they want from the start provided they do the research, etc. I hate when people get, say a cockatiel, to work their way up to a cockatoo. It is such an injustice to the cockatiel. (And honestly nothing prepares you for a cockatoo. LOL.) I respect you for trying to help your friends and guide them in the right direction. I help with a rescue and see too many birds rehomed. (We just took in 32 in one day last week.) I would continue to encourage your friend to get some bird experience at a rescue, etc. I would also encourage adopting. I actually think baby birds are not for beginners. LOL. Novices often mess up the bird and then the rescues/owners down the road deal with the repercussions. A good rescue will educate your friend on bird care and help direct them to the right fit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I actually think baby birds are not for beginners. LOL. Novices often mess up the bird and then the rescues/owners down the road deal with the repercussions.
YES. Why did I think I would be a better owner to a baby bird than the other clueless owners who thought the same thing? :lol: