• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Early signs of scale mites on budgie?

newbudgied

Checking out the neighborhood
We've only had this lovely little dude for about a week now and we're all getting accustomed to eachother. We're wondering if he might have mites in need of intervention (or another issue). We've never had birds before.

An early picture right after we got him shows some white-ish areas on the cere which seems mostly fine, but now he has an increased amount of this whiteness + slightly darkened area on the cere and a distinct dark line between cere and beak that looks like maybe dried crust or blood.

He certainly has been increasingly grooming himself each day since his arrival and seems to be pulling more small feathers out each day he usually concentrates on his under-wing area wear it meets the body. He also picks at his feet more than we're guessing is normal. No scaliness on the feet to be seen. He has been rubbing his face on his perch as well. All this seems normal in certain doses, but we're not sure how much is too much since we're new to being bird caregivers.

He is fairly well adjusted and flies to our shoulders during his out-of-the-cage time. My wife has been having some sort of reaction with very itchy and slightly burning shoulders, neck and upper arm since we got him. We're not sure if this is an indication of allergy to the bird itself, or more recently considered it might be mites. I am not experiencing anything similar although he spends time on my shoulders, and arms as well.

Thoughts or advice? Thanks :)

Attachments

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well I highly doubt it's mites. If this bird is new the first thing you guys should be doing is having a wellness check at your vet whether there is something wrong with the bird or not.

Allergies to birds is more common than you think. My wife is allergic to bird dander.

newbudgied

Well I highly doubt it's mites. If this bird is new the first thing you guys should be doing is having a wellness check at your vet whether there is something wrong with the bird or not.

Allergies to birds is more common than you think. My wife is allergic to bird dander.
@cockatoojohn

Thanks for the reply, we'll be taking him for a vet check soon.

Regarding allergy to bird dander, do you have any ideas or advice for helping those that are allergic, but still choose to live with a bird (or birds?).

Reactions: Ali

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A big giant hepa air filter.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Your wife may have a feather allergy.

newbudgied

Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Your wife may have a feather allergy.

Thanks for the welcome. We think a feather allergy is very unlikely because she's always had/used feather pillows, the homemade (grandmother-made) sort and has never had this issue before. Dander is certainly a possibility and we're looking into seeing if we can find somewhere that tests for a variety of bird related allergies.