• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Early Mating Behaviors?

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
Hello!
Nnoki is only 15 months old and is showing signs of wanting to have a mate.
Nnoki and I had out first ever separation this past week. I had a trip out of town so she got to stay at the aviary where she was hatched. She had a great time.
Before I left she had discovered a spot on the bathroom shelf that she would try to go to whenever I forgot to close the door. She was definitely acting like it was a nesting spot, and I was avoiding all actions on my part to encourage mating behavior. When I went to get her today she started regurgitation almost immediately, and did this often for over an hour. She was pinning her eyes, and turning her vent toward me and opening and closing it. Now she is back in the bathroom and hisses at me when I go in there. She has never bitten m, but I also don't push in where I am not wanted without some other distraction!
I did not expect this in such a young parrot-most of my reading says that this kind of behavior happens when they are closer to 4 or 5 years old. Also the whole thing of cutting back on fats in her diet is a disaster as she loses weight within 2 days if I take out the higher fat/protein pellet She does eat lots of other fresh foods, and good maintenance mix.
I quit using a sleep cage that I could cover as she prefers to sleep up on the top curtain rod in the living room.
Should I be concerned about early sexual maturity? Should I continue to keep her away from "her" shelf? or just let her be where she wants to?
Thanks for the insights!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
bump!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump8:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Its a good idea to discourage the mating behaviour, especially towards you. You can not, and never will be her “partner” so its good to set these boundaries. As for her age.. ive seen this before, because they are displaying mating behaviour, doesnt mean they actually will mate allready. This is not something i think you should worry about. Just prevent situations that provoke this, as much as possible.