• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Early Beginnings and Bad Endings

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you so much for sharing! That is a great article.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think Pam is correct in that people buying birds from breeders asked the right questions and got references from other customers we would have improved early raising of baby parrots.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I couldn't get Lurch back because he was afraid to fly down:( I don't think he had much access to being able to fly as he wanted till I got him and let his flights grow back in. He very slowly got stronger and was very good at maneuvering except apparently flying down. Dobby has been allowed to fly his whole life and has absolutely no problems flying down or doing acrobatic maneuvers and Momazon said he got out once and she just sat on the lawn close to where he ended up with a bowl of his favorite hot cereal and he flew down to munch and waited for her to pick him up. :xflove:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I wouldn't make a cent as a breeder because I'd fall in love with every baby and not be able to let them go! I really would be Producing Family Members!!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Thank you for posting this. She's 100% correct.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I 100 percent agree with you. This is one of her best writings and I told her that. She was very appreciated as it took her quite a while to write.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wouldn't make a cent as a breeder because I'd fall in love with every baby and not be able to let them go! I really would be Producing Family Members!!!
I hear ya! I certainly was not intending to have a family of 6 feathered babies. The plan changed and I changed my mind on giving them away.

A great article.
In Spain, clipping (of a bird of any age) is far from the norm. It is rare to see a clipped bird. Which is nice...
However, unweaned chicks is also the norm. Pet stores sell parent raised birds, not co parented or hand raised and I don´t know about the weaning process.

I´m glad I stuck to my guns and dismissed my vet telling me to stop hand feeding my little one because she´s such a special bird, we have such a close bond, even right now that she is super hormonal, which is surprising for a lovie hen.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I totally agree with you! Although I didn't adopt my babies at birth, I always make a point at every meal to hand each baby a little nibble by hand before setting their bowl down. Anything to build a stronger bond with them is good in my book!

I hear ya! I certainly was not intending to have a family of 6 feathered babies. The plan changed and I changed my mind on giving them away.

A great article.
In Spain, clipping (of a bird of any age) is far from the norm. It is rare to see a clipped bird. Which is nice...
However, unweaned chicks is also the norm. Pet stores sell parent raised birds, not co parented or hand raised and I don´t know about the weaning process.

I´m glad I stuck to my guns and dismissed my vet telling me to stop hand feeding my little one because she´s such a special bird, we have such a close bond, even right now that she is super hormonal, which is surprising for a lovie hen.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I totally agree with you! Although I didn't adopt my babies at birth, I always make a point at every meal to hand each baby a little nibble by hand before setting their bowl down. Anything to build a stronger bond with them is good in my book!
I hear ya, some times my birds eat at table with wife and I ....put their chop down and let the go at it...a flock thing....sometimes I steal a nibble or nite off their plate, other times Grayson with being something to me to eat...shoves it in my mouth. But its pure bonding at its best.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I hear ya, some times my birds eat at table with wife and I ....put their chop down and let the go at it...a flock thing....sometimes I steal a nibble or nite off their plate, other times Grayson with being something to me to eat...shoves it in my mouth. But its pure bonding at its best.
That sounds so sweet! Grayson is real honey!!!