• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ear biting and non-stop attacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauren88173

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Hello guys! It seems i have encountered a small problem with my Sun Conure AJ, he is THE sweetest little bird to me and my family. However, if anybody is in the house other than my family and I let him out he goes CRAZY. When i first got him (back in December) I didn't have this problem, then one day he just went bezerk and bit my friend Eric's ear, hard. Ever since then he will literally chase anybody that isnt me, my parents or my brother around the house attacking them and if pushed away he keeps coming back. It is a problem because I love my boy but i want him to be able to be loved by my friends as well. Also, I would eventually like to harness train him but I can't have him attacking the public. Please help!

-Lauren and AJ :sun:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

I know that you want him to be loved by your family and to like everyone, but the truth is, he doesn't and he might always prefer his family. There is a very easy fix, don't have him out when people are there. It might not be your dream choice, but it is the best thing to do so that he doesn't practice the behavior. This can be prevented by simply handling him when just your family is home. We can't make our birds be what we want or who we want. Sometimes it sucks and it may be a drag and you could do a bunch of behavior modification and try to get him more comfortable, but why would you? He is clearly saying he isn't comfortable, so I would respect that and not push him.

Hello guys! It seems i have encountered a small problem with my Sun Conure AJ, he is THE sweetest little bird to me and my family. However, if anybody is in the house other than my family and I let him out he goes CRAZY. When i first got him (back in December) I didn't have this problem, then one day he just went bezerk and bit my friend Eric's ear, hard. Ever since then he will literally chase anybody that isnt me, my parents or my brother around the house attacking them and if pushed away he keeps coming back. It is a problem because I love my boy but i want him to be able to be loved by my friends as well. Also, I would eventually like to harness train him but I can't have him attacking the public. Please help!

-Lauren and AJ :sun:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
On the contrary, with proper training, it's possible to socialize him with other people. This Tuesday, I went over to someones house, half expecting to have a very nippy green cheek conure that could not be handled shoved onto me because the current owner *could not* handle her. Daughter bought the bird for her mother as her mother had always had tiels in the past, but the bird, Winston, loved the daughter. Daughter goes off to college, mom is stuck with a bird that bites and nips. It was kind of a last straw once Winston reached out and bit her lip. After that, mom lost all trust in Winston and she was confined to the cage. Mom, sad and heart broken, reached out to someone else, asking if she might know someone wanting a green cheek conure... and word got to me. My phone number got back to her, she called me, and we met up.

I go over and yes, I see a bird that enjoys nibbling, and hard, but not a bad bird. The mother couldn't get the bird out of the cage, but I, a complete stranger, was able to not only get Winston out of the cage, but had her stepping up a little between my hands, had her turn in a circle a few times, and allowed this strange bird, known for nipping, get up on my shoulder. The mother told me that once she gets up there, you can't get her down! She'll bite and avoid the hand! And then people end up chasing her around... I managed to get Winston to step off my shoulder just fine!

Winston wasn't obeying commands because she doesn't know any, but she is *so* highly food motivated that it would be so easy to teach her. When I left, Winston's owner/mom was excited to start working with her, and perhaps finally getting that bond she's wanted with the bird for so long!

On a side note: Yes, Winston did bite me, and she bit me good! However, this was because she had a toe stuck in her leg band and I didn't put her in a tight grip in my left hand so she still had movement of her head - which allowed her to bite my right thumb. I've gotten used to such bigger bites from other birds that her bites didn't phase me in the least!

I don't believe that once a bird becomes "bad" that they are stuck that way! They just need guidance!

Lauren, AJ's behavior probably became this way because your friend reacted negatively and AJ may have found it exciting enough (good or bad) that he has to repeat *his* behavior.

I must ask, when people come over, is AJ in his cage and he's let out after the people come in? Or is he already out when they come over? Can he see when they come inside the house or is he hidden away from the front door?

I would suggest to start clicker training him or using positive reinforcement training. Teach AJ to target and to station and reward him for good behavior. Once he has those behaviors down, you might then to try and target AJ to sitting near or on a strangers hand. Please keep in mind, the stranger/friend will need to remain calm and relatively still during this or else it will make training AJ more difficult.

The best way to break him of the habit of going after other people is to socialize him with a variety of new people. At first, it can be him being near them, maybe the new people giving him his *favorite* treat or toys and speaking to him but no physical interaction... and then this leading up to him stepping onto their hand or arm for a special treat. The more positive interactions he has with people he doesn't know, the more he'll enjoy getting to know new people.

If he's up on the shoulder, can you distract him with foot toys, treats or perhaps a birdy necklace (worn by human) to keep him from biting on flesh? If not, his shoulder privileges may need to be taken away.

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
While behavior modification is a definite possibility, the question would be if you could ever really trust him. Instincts are strong, and in the presence of perceived danger, fear or encroachment, he could revert to those instincts. While a sun conure bite is not a macaw bite, that beak aint' for show, either. A misplaced bite could be a serious injury and liabilty, especially on the face, or God forbid a child. There is always the risk that this behavior will escalate.

Behavior modification I would do; fully trusting, I wouldn't. I always like to opt for safety. I've seen circumstances on other boards where an unsupecting, non-bird person inadvertently and seemingly instinctually swatted at a bird that flew at them with the intent to bite. Even if the intent to bite is not there, the untrained human that does not have a relationship with the bird doesn't know what to expect. Then both bird and human are in harm's way. Just like some people have dogs that need to be put up (or husbands:rolleyes:) when company arrives, some of us have birds that need similar special accomodations. But I would definitely encourage you to continue the socialization process with the understanding that the bird will choose just how far that process will ultimately lead.

Last edited:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
My SC Nicky has to be caged whenever people are over. At 1 to 2 yrs old, they become territorial, determined to protect both their 'flock' & their 'special person.' During hormonal season, this behavior can become esp exaggerated. Make sure all family members remain in good standing. Each person should interact w/him for a few minutes/day, perhaps doing a few step-ups, followed by a treat. If everyone who passes by offers a kind word, that helps, too. :)

lauren88173

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks so much guys! And whenever people are over he is away in his cage, his cage is in the living room where most activity is :p the good thing is that our pet sitters can get him out after a few days with no problem. I recently got a different sitter as i am away atm. Our regular sitter wasnt available. Due to this i told my new sitter not to take him out. However i have been talking to her over text and within a week she is now able to pet and hold him with no problem. He is also clicker trained and knows tricks, as well, if i do take him out while people are over, even if they sit away from him he deliberately flies to them and immediately nips them if they are not family or regular friends such as our normal sitter. I will continue to use positive reinforcement when necessary and i will have people first get used to him in the cage for days/weeks giving him treats and things in the cage before letting him out. Thanks again! I'll keep you updated :D

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I love this Post!

It reminds us that birds are individuals and we cannot get away with generalisations! i.e.

Conures are loud
Caiques are aggressive
Senegals are moody

etc

This 'berserk' Conure is (currently) more aggressive than any of my 8 caiques!

JP

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Yes everyone of my five birds are individuals and even the Greys are as diverse as you would want them to be. Yes they do have traits that seem to be because of their breed but they are individuals at the end of the day.
Also coming into play is the circumstances that they are spending their day in and the hormones kicking in from time to time. Then the dimension of what other birds are around them on a regular basis does play a small part.
I have to treat my five as the problems arise and deal with it accordingly. It is like being in charge of a kindergarden at times!
Our one blue front has to be caged for our protection from about November to January because of the hormones raging. if he was left out I would now be a lump of raw meat!:rofl:

Pidgeot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephy
my Alex is the exactt same, unfortunately :( though we're in the process of changing that, I take him to the park with me on a harness twice a week so he gets to see people, and I think it's helping! You should try the same, go to pet stores, parks, and such bird-friendly places so he gets exposed to more people :D

Status
Not open for further replies.