• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dyson Heater/Air Purifier and Humidifier in the same room, is it bad???

Dee

Moving in
Real Name
Darlene
Hi everyone.
I'm hoping I can find the answer I'm looking for here as I've already called Dyson and they have only made it more confusing for me.
Long story short, in December I purchased a Dyson Hot + Cool Air Purifier for my birds room as our old heater was running it course, I thought having a air purifier would be in to have in a room that is closed up in the winter months and bonus I would get a fan for summer time. It has been great, I have noticed a air quality change and it definitely keeps the heat at a much more consistent temperature than my old one did. Fast forward, I noticed my one bird was scratching and sneezing a ton. There was no other signs of illness and when I checked it up, it kept coming back to just being dry. Now, the Dyson also told me the humidity level in the room and it was sitting anywhere between 15-25%, which would be way too low. I tried my first humidifier and it didn't go well. It ended up having a weird smell and the Dyson told me it was picking up some VOC, not good. I got it out of there right away and deiced I would just go with the Dyson Humidifier as well, thinking it would at least be a healthier choice. Fast forward to two days ago, I got the humidifier. I set it up, let it run in another room first (just to be safe), and then put it in my birds room. Everything seemed fine until I noticed the Dyson Air Purifier spiking in PM 2.5 / 10. I once again got worried, took it out and did some research. From my understanding (which if someone knows more about this please let me know) it was spiking because the Dyson couldn't tell the difference between the water molecules in the air versus if it was dust or smoke (something the PM's are supposed to be). I ask around some more and figured I would call the company in the morning just to be sure. They ended up telling me I should never run them in the same room, that the air purifier should never have a humidifier in the same room as it. I was very confused as I had search before hand and seen other people run the two in the same room and be fine. They tried to explain it as, it would ruin the filter faster, or something along those line and that a air purifier would just negate the purpose of the humidifier, and vice versa. I tried to be sure that it was not dangerous but from what I could understand (they were still explaining it in a confusing manner) it was not dangerous, the purifier is just picking up the water molecules and making it more sensitive to the things already trapped in the filter.

I really don't know what to think at this point as I would love to keep my heater with the air purifier but I also really need a humidifier. I was wondering if anyone here has dealt with this or something similar. If I knew 100% it wasn't dangerous, I would just run it but I'm also worried of running the chance of having to replace the filter way sooner than it should be or of ruining the machine. I could really use some help!
Thanks

Bestbirdmo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Christine Marquez
I had to call up my vet give her my model number for my humidifier and make sure it was safe. I would def check with your vet. Ours is cold output and I keep it away from her cage. when we do our cleanings for it I remove it and put it upstairs and let it run with non toxic cleaner for a week before putting it back downstairs. I was told NO heaters at all as they give off Teflon and kills birds and I asked our vet about this as well

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Just curious if using a mist/spray bottle a few times daily would be a better option than running both machines in the same room? Or even just having an open top container of water somewhere to help keep the humidity up instead of the humidifier.
I don’t actually have a humidifier but I also have not yet had any issues with low humidity.

Dee

Moving in
Real Name
Darlene
I had to call up my vet give her my model number for my humidifier and make sure it was safe. I would def check with your vet. Ours is cold output and I keep it away from her cage. when we do our cleanings for it I remove it and put it upstairs and let it run with non toxic cleaner for a week before putting it back downstairs. I was told NO heaters at all as they give off Teflon and kills birds and I asked our vet about this as well
Our current vet is out on medical leave so I will have to find another one to call. We found another one pretty close to us that I will definitely call. As for the heaters, everyone one I've had I've checked with the companies and I was told they didn't have Teflon. Before buying the Dyson heater I double checked and they told me it didn't have any Teflon in it. But I will also double check with the vet!

Just curious if using a mist/spray bottle a few times daily would be a better option than running both machines in the same room? Or even just having an open top container of water somewhere to help keep the humidity up instead of the humidifier.
I don’t actually have a humidifier but I also have not yet had any issues with low humidity.
I tried using a spray bottle a little bit ago (not for dryness but just for misting). Our one bird it really skittish, he was at a pet store that let everyone handle him, including kids. We think he wasn't treated the best and is now scared of almost everything. We have been working on it for years now and he has gotten better but is still scared of things like bathing containers and occasionally still getting scared of my hands (it's a work in progress but he is much better than when we got him). I tried a spray bottle and he was so scared, never seem to get use to is.He currently only baths in his water dish as he won't try anything else (no matter what I try to get him use to). I thought a humidifier would be better in that sense and since I was also noticing a dry throat when I woke up and dry skin. I tried the boiled water in a bowl but not only did it only raise it to about 28%, it was way to difficult and was a scolding hazard (not only have I burnt my arm once already, but I worry of spilling it on my rabbit who LOVES to run around my feet 24/7. I might just keep trying the spray bottle even more until I figure it out, hopefully he will get use to it pretty fast.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I use the Dysom AM10 humidifier and I've noticed when it's on I get a kind of grey dust in the room, so I can never use it without a purifier running. I've never noticed it before because I used to have a Tiel that produced loads of dust on it's own, this is my first year without a powder down bird. But it is clear, the AM10 and similar designs produce dust.
I think the only way around it is to feed the humidifier with RO water but I don't have a filter setup yet.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I notice that water disappears from a full dog bowl of water when my dog is outside so maybe rather than use dishes of boiling water just place a few shallow open top dishes of cool water about the room? Nothing deep enough to be a drowning hazard. Maybe place a heap of his water dishes around so he can bathe or drink or they can evaporate into the air. I have no idea if it will be enough to put the moisture you need back into the air but it’s all I can think of.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My warm mist steam humidifier does not produce white dust, and we have a ton of minerals in our water.

Dee

Moving in
Real Name
Darlene
Thanks everyone for all the replies! It really means a ton.
I use the Dysom AM10 humidifier and I've noticed when it's on I get a kind of grey dust in the room, so I can never use it without a purifier running. I've never noticed it before because I used to have a Tiel that produced loads of dust on it's own, this is my first year without a powder down bird. But it is clear, the AM10 and similar designs produce dust.
I think the only way around it is to feed the humidifier with RO water but I don't have a filter setup yet.
Oh, I did not know that. We didn't run it for long enough to notice anything but it's definitely something to consider. Would the dust be dangerous? Considering I'm assuming it would be just minerals. Thanks for the reply!

I notice that water disappears from a full dog bowl of water when my dog is outside so maybe rather than use dishes of boiling water just place a few shallow open top dishes of cool water about the room? Nothing deep enough to be a drowning hazard. Maybe place a heap of his water dishes around so he can bathe or drink or they can evaporate into the air. I have no idea if it will be enough to put the moisture you need back into the air but it’s all I can think of.
I have actually tried just regular water in a shallow dish. It doesn't seem to evaporate quick enough to make the room humid enough. That's one of the reasons I was boiling the water and just leaving while they were in their cages. The steam seem to increase it 5% but the heater would just dry the room back up in an hour or so. I live in a colder area and for months we have to have a heater running in the room as the room they are in is always cold. I could leave a shallow one when he's out and he might go in it for a bath but I don't think he would go to it right away due to being scared of it. Once the weather warms up it should be alright again but I know it will just happen again next year. Thanks for the reply!

Good to see I'm not the only person. Mine says what it is specificity. being PM 10'S and PM 2.5 but seem no one knows if it's dangerous or not. From my understanding (I ask around on a couple differently sites) it seems to be the air purifier can't tell the difference between smoke/ dust (which is usually what the PM's are) and the water molecules when they evaporate into the air in a large amount. If so this should not be dangerous but when I called they seem to make it out to be this really bad thing. They wouldn't be 100% clear with me but it was something along the line of, it will ruin the filter faster due to the water just being sucked right back up and getting trapped in the filter... Now I could maybe understand that but get confused when other people seem to run the same type of setups (with other brands) and it's totally fine, even recommended. It's just really hard seeing it suddenly say your air quality it poor and not know 100% why. Thanks for the reply!

My warm mist steam humidifier does not produce white dust, and we have a ton of minerals in our water.
Thanks for the link! I would definitely like one that does not produce any white dust. I will have a look into it and if I do end up getting one, it might be one of these. Which one do you have specifically, if you don't mind me asking. I see a ton on there and have heard of the Cranes before but not sure about the other ones. Thanks for the reply!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have an Enviracare warm mist humidifier. It’s an older model so they don’t make it anymore, but it has a UV light and a ceramic heating element that boils the water to get rid of any bacteria. They might have a newer model, but something similar should work too.

Dee

Moving in
Real Name
Darlene
I have an Enviracare warm mist humidifier. It’s an older model so they don’t make it anymore, but it has a UV light and a ceramic heating element that boils the water to get rid of any bacteria. They might have a newer model, but something similar should work too.
I will look into some then. Thanks!

Dee

Moving in
Real Name
Darlene
Hey everyone, I just had one more question if anyone can answer it. I did a test today with another humidifier and it didn't seem to spike my air purifier. However, I ran the Dyson humidifier and it still had a smell. I don't think I'm keeping and just looking into other ones again. Which ones do you guys use/ recommend. I've seen a couple other forums about this but most of them are ones I can't seem to get in Canada. I was looking to the Crane brand ones as they were a place I called awhile back and they told me they don't use Teflon in any of their products. Has anyone ever used a Crane Brand humidifier before.
Thanks!

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
hello i had the same problem where my dyson heater purifer hp02 would spike when using the venta air washer ive come to realize the dyson reads the humidifed air as particles , it cant be anything elese but that theres nothing elese
Coming out of the machine, i to called dyson and was told that however i find it strange their new machine is a purifer humidifer combo, it uses evaportive method , i was close to buying this machine then read it was a ptfe part “. They developed a highly reflective PTFE tube through which UV-C light is reflected.” So it dosent get hot not sure if its safe mayb someone can clarify?
While it does seem logical to me samp air run threw a filter wouldnt be good i now dont run my humidier ( venta, or levoit 600) at the same time as my purifer (air pura, or iq air)
And i keep them covered(the machines not the birds) while the humidifer is on, id love to get some more feed back on this as i need the humidifer most of the day or i get nose bleeds.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
hello i had the same problem where my dyson heater purifer hp02 would spike when using the venta air washer ive come to realize the dyson reads the humidifed air as particles , it cant be anything elese but that theres nothing elese
Coming out of the machine, i to called dyson and was told that however i find it strange their new machine is a purifer humidifer combo, it uses evaportive method , i was close to buying this machine then read it was a ptfe part “. They developed a highly reflective PTFE tube through which UV-C light is reflected.” So it dosent get hot not sure if its safe mayb someone can clarify?
While it does seem logical to me samp air run threw a filter wouldnt be good i now dont run my humidier ( venta, or levoit 600) at the same time as my purifer (air pura, or iq air)
And i keep them covered(the machines not the birds) while the humidifer is on, id love to get some more feed back on this as i need the humidifer most of the day or i get nose bleeds.
PTFE/teflon only releases harmful chemicals when it begins to break down at very high temperatures. Teflon/PTFE components themselves, such as plastic tubing in your humidifier, are completely inert and will not pose any risk whatsoever to your birds. Unless it catches fire, in which case... well, the PTFE components in your air purifier are the least of your concerns.

I've used PTFE components around the house (tubing, wire/cable wraps) and don't think twice about it.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
PTFE/teflon only releases harmful chemicals when it begins to break down at very high temperatures. Teflon/PTFE components themselves, such as plastic tubing in your humidifier, are completely inert and will not pose any risk whatsoever to your birds. Unless it catches fire, in which case... well, the PTFE components in your air purifier are the least of your concerns.

I've used PTFE components around the house (tubing, wire/cable wraps) and don't think twice about it.
I no this is true i just didnt no the effect of the uvc light shining on the teflon ,,
Do you think ptfe pipe sealant on a radiator is harmful?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I no this is true i just didnt no the effect of the uvc light shining on the teflon ,,
Do you think ptfe pipe sealant on a radiator is harmful?
Nope. PTFE is used for a lot of pipe sealants around radiators and gas stoves, I believe. They will not get hot enough to release harmful chemicals, but it cannot hurt to make sure that any sealant remains in good shape to prevent degradation over time.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I gave up on room humidifiers. They were a royal pain to keep filling & cleaning them. I also got the white dust. We had a humidifier installed on our forced air furnace. A water line is attached to the unit, which then brings water in & thru a filter, which then blows it up thru the vents. Our humidity level is set around 35-40%. You set the control & forget it. The humidity inside also varies depending on outside humidity. We change the filter once a year, as we don't run it in summer. Of course if you don't have forced air heat then this won't work for your situation.

We have the 400 model on our furnace. Whole-House Humidifier Solutions

Our air purifiers are the older Hunter brand room model with 3 stage filters & a washable filter. I have one in each room my birds are in. We vacuum the filters off every couple weeks to extend their life & replace them once a year. I don't run them in summer, as our house is open as much as possible.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I gave up on room humidifiers. They were a royal pain to keep filling & cleaning them. I also got the white dust. We had a humidifier installed on our forced air furnace. A water line is attached to the unit, which then brings water in & thru a filter, which then blows it up thru the vents. Our humidity level is set around 35-40%. You set the control & forget it. The humidity inside also varies depending on outside humidity. We change the filter once a year, as we don't run it in summer. Of course if you don't have forced air heat then this won't work for your situation.

We have the 400 model on our furnace. Whole-House Humidifier Solutions

Our air purifiers are the older Hunter brand room model with 3 stage filters & a washable filter. I have one in each room my birds are in. We vacuum the filters off every couple weeks to extend their life & replace them once a year. I don't run them in summer, as our house is open as much as possible.
I wish i can have this i have a boiler so i use only distilled water and clean with vinegar about every 3-4 days major pain but worth it
I hate dry air,, i use air pura and i got an iq air but the thing smells weird and for 1000$ it shouldn’t, in the beginning it was bad bothered my throat it got better over time running in another room but its still off, i cant find anyone that uses the iq air ive asked before.. and as for opening my house up in the summer it always smells like charcol bbq cus of the neighbors ive sealed my windows sometimes sleep in the couch because its the furthest room really a pain i need to move lol