• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dynamics between multiple lovebirds

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Do you have more than one lovebird? What are the dynamics between yours? My Wally is 5 weeks and Eva is 4 weeks and it’s definitely a funny situation. Its about a 6 days difference but in the beginning their differences were large. It was worrisome but man, when they start growing, it’s like something new every 12 hours! She went from barely being able to stand with her feet underneath her, to being a better climber than him. It’s so interesting to see her directly learn from him and their dynamics is hilarious. There is a lot of tattletelling on both ends. But they love each other and I’m so glad they have each other! Tell me some quirky, interesting, funny relationships between your lovies!
P.S. This is a pic of them on Sunday and it’s Thursday today and she looks like a totally different bird, don’t grow up so fast!!

Attachments

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
I have one lovebird so I can’t really say much about multi-bird dynamics, but I just wanted to say Wally and Eva are so adorable! It’s so Interesting to me the whole raising them from babies thing!:)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I have one lovebird so I can’t really say much about multi-bird dynamics, but I just wanted to say Wally and Eva are so adorable! It’s so Interesting to me the whole raising them from babies thing!:)
I started with a breeding pair about 20 years ago. I was quite young. They were semi-tame and independent but still tolerant and enjoyed some interaction. They gave me babies and they ended up with my ex who gave them a good life, he loves animals and got me into them. Now was it optimal? No. Because I was young but also not as much info was out there as it is today. When I first got a dog, there was Alpo and Pedigree and now, 20 years later we know so much more. You live and you learn and you vow to do better.

I now have Wally and Eva. I have a senior cat who is very needy so I didn’t want to bring something in that would upset her. It’s been 15 years since I’ve had a “new” pet. I LOVE what a lovebird can bring out of a person so I’m sure you and your little lovie are happy and enjoying each other. Post a pic!

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
I started with a breeding pair about 20 years ago. I was quite young. They were semi-tame and independent but still tolerant and enjoyed some interaction. They gave me babies and they ended up with my ex who gave them a good life, he loves animals and got me into them. Now was it optimal? No. Because I was young but also not as much info was out there as it is today. When I first got a dog, there was Alpo and Pedigree and now, 20 years later we know so much more. You live and you learn and you vow to do better.

I now have Wally and Eva. I have a senior cat who is very needy so I didn’t want to bring something in that would upset her. It’s been 15 years since I’ve had a “new” pet. I LOVE what a lovebird can bring out of a person so I’m sure you and your little lovie are happy and enjoying each other. Post a pic!
Wow! I 100% agree! So much research is being done every day! Lovebirds C6C9FE18-CA9D-47ED-86BA-053594C6076B.jpeg are such unique, energetic, bubbly little creatures! I didn’t expect such personality from such a tiny creature! (all I have right now, add more pics later!)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Oh my! What a cute little one. They say offer natural wood perches cus in the long run, it’s better for the feet. She looks happy! How old is your little guy, how do you find bonding with it just as a singleton. I know they can be incredibly happy being with just an owner they bond to. That was the idea but my husband is a sucker and told the breeder yes we will take 2 before I could even say no hahah.

GalaxyDog9

Meeting neighbors
Oh my! What a cute little one. They say offer natural wood perches cus in the long run, it’s better for the feet. She looks happy! How old is your little guy, how do you find bonding with it just as a singleton. I know they can be incredibly happy being with just an owner they bond to. That was the idea but my husband is a sucker and told the breeder yes we will take 2 before I could even say no hahah.
thanks! This is an older picture, he does have a natural perch! :) He is about 6 months old, we got him at 3ish months old. He is my first birdie so I can’t compare to bonding with other birds but, I think it’s going well! We are working on target, recall, and I’m trying to get him to be comfortable with a foraging box type thing? When we got him he would only take millet if I left it in his cage, now he will happily fly/hop onto my open palm sprinkled With seed!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
thanks! This is an older picture, he does have a natural perch! :) He is about 6 months old, we got him at 3ish months old. He is my first birdie so I can’t compare to bonding with other birds but, I think it’s going well! We are working on target, recall, and I’m trying to get him to be comfortable with a foraging box type thing? When we got him he would only take millet if I left it in his cage, now he will happily fly/hop onto my open palm sprinkled With seed!
That’s awesome. First time birdies are so fun!!! You are doing a great job!!! Keep me posted with anything you find along the way of raising a young bird. They are all so different and unique

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I have two budgies,a Conure, and a cockatiel. For some reason my cockatiel Lemonpie gets all the unwanted attention. The budgies adore him. Meloncita hates him, so we have to keep them separated. Each bird has a bird that like one another, but all the birds change their attitude when Lemonpie comes to play.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I heard that before! That their budgies want to be BFFs with the cockatiel but the cockatiel is always running away haha. Cute names! Your conure hates your cockatiel? It’s so funny how they interact! It’s like a daycare haha

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I heard that before! That their budgies want to be BFFs with the cockatiel but the cockatiel is always running away haha. Cute names! Your conure hates your cockatiel? It’s so funny how they interact! It’s like a daycare haha
The main reason meloncita hates Lemonpie is because he accidentally walked across her. He also kept try to nibble her eyelids, and beak innocently and curiously :lol:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Wally has the sweetest personality. At a little over 5 weeks, he is Eva’s teacher and best friend. Eva who is a little over 4 weeks is his literal shadow. She can’t be without him, even for a few moments and every step he takes, she’s right their behind him, sometimes running straight into him in an effort to be close. I have seen a bit of switch of power in the last few days. She has always been bossy and he’s super tolerant. But even feeding time, she climbs out of their little carrier, quicker and more efficiently than him. Wally can be a nutcase. Scratching at things, digging, sprinting, preening furiously, constantly chipping to me and nibbling. Eva…ehh not so much. She mostly just chases Wally and holds him down for cuddles. She sits in your hand or your chest. They love bathtime in my hands and immediately fall asleep. I’m assuming after they wean, they may be too independent for our bath time so I enjoy it now.

Wally will run to me for peace when she won’t stop squawking. He sometimes doesn’t like when he’s trying to spend quiet time with me and she just butts in hahah. He will look at her so mad and yell at her and get in her way but never a bite or anything. He likes to use his beak to nibble on everything, even your fingers, but she hasn’t quite gotten there. I don’t think she has ever nibbled my finger. Even though they love each other the most, and they love both of us, Wally leans towards me and Eva loves my husband. We love them so much!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m assuming after they wean, they may be too independent for our bath time so I enjoy it now.
Keep your routine up and they will still interact with you. My little ones love love LOVE me cupping my hands under the sink for them to bathe in.

Tell me some quirky, interesting, funny relationships between your lovies!
We´ve been through a lot over here. Fights, love, weird stories, weird habits. Two of my birds were each others nemesis´ for years, it was awful, I had to keep them always separated... then one day, poof! They were ¨friends¨ :rolleyes:

@Momo & Mido has two peach-faced boys and one newly acquired hen. One of her boys is Lutino ;)

@TikiMyn has a few lovies too.

@Sunny&Mars has two lovebirds of different species

@DORIS123 has two hens

@Emma&pico has two lovies

@Kirstylou has two lovebirds too

@cheekypie has two Peach faced lovies but I haven´t seen her posting in quite a while.

DORIS123

Strolling the yard
I have 2 lovebirds. Got them from two different breeder intending for them to breed, but then later on knowing that it is not good for their health so I gave up. Got my bobo first at 4 weeks(a velvet peach face i believe), and jojo at 4 weeks as well (a regular.peach face). The birthday i believe is a few days apart.Both of them are handfed. Jojo is more attached to me and love to be pampered all day, doesnt bite too too hard and less hormonal, bobo is attched to me but more attched to jojo and bite really hard. I wasnt aware of the fact that both of them are female until they lay eggs. Anyway, they are happy little birds that like to fly around in the living room. And getting annoyed by my budgie kiki. So for me is more complicated because i have a bonded pair of lovebirds and a single male budgie. The budgie personality also changed dramatically after we introduced him to the lovebirds. He became really bossy and extremely loud in the morning which never happened before He will micmic their sound and chase them all days. I will say all three are happy and enjoying their life and being sneaky together.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi
Welcome
Your lovebirds are gorgeous

I have two lovebirds pico and indie pico was handfed got him at 11/2years old indie parent rasied got her (I think) at 10weeks

pico is bonded to me hes crazy wild full of energy can do tricks good recall would be with me all day if I let him but is happy to play in his cage loves foraging toys bells

indie is bonded to both of us me and pico (pico still unsure) she can do tricks recalls to my arm still scared of hands but that’s ok we work around it calmer than pico will do anything for food is more independent than pico loves foraging toys bells

both love being out both love a bath on sinks tap running

pico changed a bit when I got indie but they are settling had few little squabbling indie wants to be friends with pico pico isn’t that interested I think he likes having her about but doesn’t know how to be a bird and what indie wants from him

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
a velvet peach face i believe
I´ve never heard this term before. What does it mean?

Do you have more than one lovebird? What are the dynamics between yours?
Oh I forgot to say, I have 7 Roseicollis lovebirds. I have Sydney and Adélie (she´s special needs) they´re in my profile pic. Then I have Jaime and Aldora. Nube and Lapis are a bonded sibling pair (so obviously all eggs get destroyed). And finally Gislí, single. I fly them in two groups, Syd, Ade and Gis together, and then Jaime, Aldora, Lapis and Nube (The blue team).
Gislís sister Charlie lives upstairs and she comes to stay with me when my neighbour goes to see her daughter.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I´ve never heard this term before. What does it mean?

Oh I forgot to say, I have 7 Roseicollis lovebirds. I have Sydney and Adélie (she´s special needs) they´re in my profile pic. Then I have Jaime and Aldora. Nube and Lapis are a bonded sibling pair (so obviously all eggs get destroyed). And finally Gislí, single. I fly them in two groups, Syd, Ade and Gis together, and then Jaime, Aldora, Lapis and Nube (The blue team).
Gislís sister Charlie lives upstairs and she comes to stay with me when my neighbour goes to see her daughter.
7 lovebirds! Wow they are all gorgeous! Do you allow any of the to have clutches?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yes, Jaime and Aldora have had chicks. The others won´t be allowed, Nube and Lapis are siblings, and Adelie has issues with calcium so I don´t think it´s wise to allow her to breed. So no more babies here for us anymore.
In the future, I would have loved to bring home a different species of lovebird and have a couple iof clutches of chicks, but laws are changing here. A pair of Taranta or Canus would have been the dream. Maybe I will, but we´ll have to see.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Yes, Jaime and Aldora have had chicks. The others won´t be allowed, Nube and Lapis are siblings, and Adelie has issues with calcium so I don´t think it´s wise to allow her to breed. So no more babies here for us anymore.
In the future, I would have loved to bring home a different species of lovebird and have a couple iof clutches of chicks, but laws are changing here. A pair of Taranta or Canus would have been the dream. Maybe I will, but we´ll have to see.
Did you raise your chicks and adopt them out?