• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dying bird (bird flu?)

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Hello everybody.
Sadly, my 2 month old budgie died yesterday. He was shaking and very very tired. He lived with his best friend Ducky (a 5 month old cockatiel) and today his friend is shaking a bit and very tired. When I called for him to come on my hand, he flew down and fell to the floor (much like his budgie friend).
He was so upset when he saw his friend die and I am unsure of why he is like this. Maybe it’s grieving? Or could it be an illness passed onto each other.

Edit: Also he was shaking his head from side to side and vomited some fluid out. He got a bit better after that but still seems tired and shaking a tiny bit.

I am trying to get him to a vet before it’s too late.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Many diseases are transmissible between birds unfortunately. It is extremely hard to know what caused your budgie's death without a necropsy. It's good you are trying to get to the vet.

Arin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Arin
Many diseases are transmissible between birds unfortunately. It is extremely hard to know what caused your budgie's death without a necropsy. It's good you are trying to get to the vet.
Thank you.
He seems to be increasing in health, I am not sure though. I believe once he vomited it out he got better and his feces started to gain more of a normal colour (green).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can continue to monitor, but I personally would want a check up just to be sure. If your bird has never been to the vet, then if nothing else it gets you established at a vet :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely get the necropsy done and a check up on your sick bird.

Do your birds live outdoors? Have you been washing hands and changing clothes between handling wild birds (or touching benches etc where wild birds come into contact) and your own? I was visiting recently and there were lots of outbreaks happening around my parents area which is a half hour north of you. The Govt. have advised everyone to bring all birds indoors.

Remember, even though there are lots of outbreaks of bird flu, it could be something else so try to keep your mind open to other possibilities and do your best to get the results from the vet as soon as possible.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Your budgie was very young. It's possible he was already infected with something before he came to you(?).