• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dyed hair with Henna

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
So I decided to dye my hair with Henna. I did it downstairs and washed it out (did not wash with soap tonight but I will in the morning) my hair kind of smells weird from it and now, because I’m a worrier, I’m scared the smell might be bad for my birds. It’s not strong smelling and henna is a natural hair dye so it’s not chemically. Will my birds be fine from being around me?
I will be washing my hair with soap in the morning but I spent about 30 minutes with them before putting them to bed after rinsing the henna out of my hair. Also one of my birds likes to grab my hair sometimes and put it in his beak (I stop this right away but he still does it) After I wash my hair with soap tomorrow will it be ok if he grabs my hair still?
I just want to make sure my birds stay healthy :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Yeah I don’t know if I’m gonna get an answer because henna isn’t that popular of a hair dye. The henna I used is 100% natural henna and from the looks of it, it has nothing in it that would cause worry.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I tried to look in to it, and it seems like some of them have toxic components that are harmful if ingested. I can’t really confirm or deny it, but I wouldn’t chance it with letting the birds have access to chewing your hair.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used henna in the past, but it was before I had birds. It's nice to have natural options! I agree that the lingering smell is overwhelming though.