• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dutch blue lovebird

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi hopefully be picking this baby up this weekend advised as a Dutch blue lovebird I’ve googled Dutch blues and they seem to change colour as they get older is this true ? Any advice on Dutch blues would really be appreciate thank you

names suggestion would be amazing too

Attachments

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It seems that most birds get brighter feathers as they get older, so I'm going to say yes. I notice it very strongly in regular lovebirds though. Before and after pictures and unbelievable!
The lovebird looks so tiny, so my name suggestions are teeny and tiny, chiquita, or chiquito(depending on gender, as the last two are in Spanish)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@FeatheredM It’s only 8weeks old I thought it looked big in picture lol but then I thought pico did he’s definitely smaller in real life to pictures
On google the Dutch blues really changed get orange on their heads unless I am looking at wrong thing new to all this

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I see what you mean, @Zara should be able to give you a more detailed response as she is the master of lovebirds!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello, Are you sure those birds on the last picture are the parents? They must be both split to Aqua for them to be able to produce an Aqua (Dutch Blue) chick.

My friend has a Dutch blue but I don´t recall seeing any chick pictures so I´m not sure how they look as youngsters, and at 6-9months old their first moult occurs which changes their plumage from juvenile to their brighter adult colouring. As an adult they will be bright jewel blue and have a two-toned beak.

If one parent is split to Aqua and the other split to Turquoise, then it´s possible to have an AquaTurquoise (Sea Green) chick - they look similar to Dutch blue but more Jade green rather than jewel blue.
I wonder if the seller will have pictures of the parents parents?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
orange on their heads
Yes, they will have a peach brow
You can see my friends birds there at the back, the peach brow is very prominent, as well as the very jewel blue plumage, and the two toned beak.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara do you think it is definitely a Dutch blue then ? Yep breeder said definitely parents this is first baby they have had that’s not green will he/she definitely have the orange head mark when older or does that depend? Thank you so much

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara Will the chick be different colour to pico when older as much as pico gorgeous I would really like to tell them apart haha

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
do you think it is definitely a Dutch blue then ?
Sorry, I don´t know what they look like as chicks before the adult plumage comes in, so too young for me to tell.

this is first baby they have had that’s not green
Sounds about right. For two green birds, most of the chicks would be green, or green split to Aqua or Turquoise (so visually Green).

will he/she definitely have the orange head mark when older or does that depend?
Impossible to say. I have quite a few Turquoise birds and none have any peach brow at all. I think I remember seeing photos of @DoubleTake ´s Turquoise bird as a chick where she didn´t have the peachy brow, and it came in later with her adult plumage.
If these birds had other birds in the past like this chick, the breeder may be getting his info from there, or from the grandparents.

I would really like to tell them apart
I completely understand. I have some that look similar but are all slightly different hues, It´s more likely than not that you will be able to tell them apart. There are lots of people with two of the exact same mutation, and they are able to tell them apart, even wild green type. In the Aqua and Turquoise there is so much more variation so more chance of having a slightly different appearance. I´m almost positive the browline will be different for Pico and the chick, as Pico doesn´t have a very prominent browline (looks Opaline) and the chicks colour comes all the way up and over his head down towards the eyes. It´s blurry now, but when the adult plumage comes in, you´ll see a line appear and maybe the peachy brow too under it :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you so much @Zara you are so helpful it’s definitely peachfaced and not a hybrid I don’t think pictures are that clear will post better pics when I get him/her Saturday be 10weeks old then is there anything I need to know about 10week old lovebird chicks pico was 11/2 when I got him bit scared

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
10 weeks old is a good age to bring home a baby lovebird, they´re weaned but still young and (relatively) easy to build relationships with. Remember to keep the new bird quarantined away from Pico for a good 4 weeks at least, until you can get him/her to the vet for a wellness check to be sure they are illness and disease free. You can use this time while they are alone, to lay the foundations for the relationship before they meet Pico. Offer plenty of treats through the cage bars, talk or sing with your bird, spend time hanging out near them, once they´re comfortabel let them out in that room so they can interact with you without the cage. Be sure to invest time and patience. Once the quarantine is up, you can move both cages into the same room, but don´t just put two birds in one cage, let them keep their own space to start with :)

I look forward to more pictures and updates :bliss:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara thank you so much so glad they will be fully weaned I think chicks on seeds do I just swap to pellets or gradually change them sorry for all questions will keep u updated

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ask the breeder what diet the little ones are on. Feed the same diet the breeder has them on until they are settled in. You can offer additional things but never take away what they know. For eg. if they´re on all-seed, then you feed them that. You can offer pellets and veggies as extras, but don´t just take the seed away if that´s what they´ve been weaned onto. If the breeder fed a certain brand of pellet, feed that pellet for now. For the first week, just feed exactly what the breeder fed.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
@Zara thank you so much chicks on seed so will carry on with seed and offer pellets vegetable etc

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Loki did not have a peach brow until she about 7-8 month

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggest the name Dusk. The current colouring reminds me of dusk, when you can just faintly see colour, right before you can't.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award