• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusty cockatiel problem

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Hey! I've got 2 cockatiels, but the problem is. My mom thinks their dust is harmful to our lungs(I guess its partially true), so she wants to put the birds outside, but we have raccoons and its cold. So how can we keep the birds inside, but stop them from getting dust everywhere? Thanks, I really need to solve this problem. She also forbid me and my sibling to bring the birds INSIDE.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i do not have cockatiels so i’m sure other people will be able to give you better information... but you can give them more frequent baths, set up an air filter near their cage, and daily vacuuming/sweeping.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't own cockatiels, so I can't offer any experience to share. Hopefully some of the tiel owners will be along soon. From what I understand, Tiels are one of the dustier bird species (behind African Greys and the large cockatoos). I believe people who own these dustier bird species bathe their birds every day, change the paper and clean the cage daily (including wiping down the bars), keep an air filter running, and vacuum daily, too. Let's see, who can I tag that might be able to help...

@Sunni Tiel, @Khizz, @Sarahmoluccan

If your Mom won't change her mind, then perhaps you could find someone to foster your birds for you?

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Bump

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
An air purifier is always a good idea with dusty birds. I have two tiels and a cockatoo in my home. I run the air purfier every day. I also dust and keep the birds' cages clean. Unless someone has respiratory issues like asthma, etc. it shouldn't be a problem.

Jogging around the block
All the others have already said what'd I would do :)

Did you manage to get her to take them inside yet?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I feel her, I'm actually allergic to my bird's dander as well as the rest of my pet's dander (I have two budgies, which are also super dusty birds) but I couldn't bring them outside. Unless you guys have a proper setup where they can get warm and cooled off as the temperature changes, are able to keep them safe from not only ground predators but also air predators (hawks could easily swoop down and attack from above), I would advise your mom to bring them inside...

I have an air purifier going at all times and I vacuum several times a week, I rarely get an allergic reaction from them if I keep up with the cleaning. (My face gets puffy/stuffy every time Phoenix wants kisses though :roflmao: )

Is this the same cockatiel that was having the seizures? I'm not sure if temperature change and being outside would be good for him/her... sorry if I'm thinking of someone else :rolleyes: