• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusty Cockatiel problem #2

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Hey! you might have seen my post awhile ago, my mom says that they can stay inside, IF there is something between the bird and us. She wants to use plexiglass. I don't know what to do.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Bump

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
That IS a product that exists, but they’re very expensive for their size and seem like it would be hard to hang toys and perches in a way that’s useful for the bird vs dictated by the cage layout and where it has pre-drilled hanging holes. Modern Clear Acrylic Tabletop Birdcage, Size Options

EDIT having read through your other “Dusty Cockatiel Problem” post, what did your mom say about air purifiers which everyone suggested? That’s a proven solution, MUCH cheaper than these weird plexi cages, and will benefit you and your family in terms of other air quality issues like pollen as well.

Last edited:

Oscarbird

what did your mom say about air purifiers which everyone suggested?
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Air purifier will get the dust out of the air, whereas plexiglass will do nothing to stop the dust debris from getting in the atmosphere. As Chom also mentioned, it will also rid your air of other nasty things. I hope you'll consider this, @BirbBrain . The best purifiers are HEPA ones, from what I've heard and they are much cheaper than those plexiglass things and much more helpful as well. Hope this helps, good luck with your tiels.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I told her about the air purifier, but she doesn't really want to use them. Today, she found two cages, but they weren't plexi-glass, they were actual glass, I feel like they are a bit small, but she won't budge, it'll work for my birds, who are on the lazier side. I don't know how to attach the perches and whatnot though, since they don't have predrilled whole. They can breath, there is a whole at the top

Oscarbird

Birds can't see glass like people. I feel like your birds might end up having an accident by crashing into the sides of the cage which can be very deadly. Did you tell your mom that the air purifier will actually get the dust out of the air? Even if you have glass cages the dust particles will still be able to get in the air, and an air purifier would be really beneficial. I just don't see how glass will help you in your situation, there is just so much that could go wrong. Again, I hope that you find a situation that works for you and your birds. :)

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Ok, like i said in other posts, my tiel Echo has been having seizures(my mom won't do anything) and it has gotten worse, every 5-10 minutes, she has one, FINALLY, my mom says that she can go, her vet visit is for the ER, and only in a few hours, keep you guys updated. Also, these intense seizures, just started today.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Good luck with Echo. Keep us updated.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I'm crying while writing this, my mom went the vet, she is still there right now, just calling me. And she said that the seizures are a neurological problem, and she has a 2% chance of survival, which is so low. I don't know what I would do if she died...
Keeping u guys updated!
Best of luck to Echo

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I've been researching, i know that she might be dead soon. But I think it might be WNV, West Nile Virus, the symptoms, seem awfully similar with echos behavior.
Circling, ataxia, seizures, abnormal head position are all what echo did today. 1627782127647.png

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Yeah, definitely seems like WNV, it says that the bird usually dies in a few days. my poor echo...

:sad2: :sad11:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Yeah, definitely seems like WNV, it says that the bird usually dies in a few days. my poor echo...

:sad2: :sad11:
She’s been suffering for a while now though, hasn’t she? Did the vet diagnose this?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please consider an air purifier. You can get HEPA ones for reasonable prices at places like home & home improvement stores. Make sure any ionizer can be turned off. If your mother won't get one, do not get another bird. It's not worth your health.

I accidentally burned a grilled cheese sandwich the other day. For the first time, my filter showed red (bad air quality, rather than good or poor). They really do work. And I don't think being kept essentially in a box would be good for your bird.

Edited to add that I would also step up my cleaning routine, especially wet dusting & vaccuuming.