• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Dusty Birds" Questions

Winn

Jogging around the block
I have read that the "true dusty birds are Cockatoos, Cockatiels and African Greys. I have also read "Old World" birds versus non-dusty "New World" birds.
Would there be any issue keeping Budgies in the same room (separate cages) with Toos', Tiels, or Greys? Also, the same question in regard to keeping Conures in the same room with Budgies?

I understand it's a no-no to keep Conures, Macaws, etc near the "Dusty Three".

Are there birds that shouldn't be housed (separately) in the same space excluding the Dusty 3?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would there be any issue keeping Budgies in the same room (separate cages) with Toos', Tiels, or Greys?
No. Because budgies are old world parrots too.

Are there birds that shouldn't be housed (separately) in the same space excluding the Dusty 3?
As you said above, conures and macaws.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I'm sorry if it's not quite clear to me. I think you mean Conures and Macaws shouldn't be kept near Toos, Tiels, Greys..?
Should they also not be kept near budgies?

I currently have budgies. I have the opportunity to accept a Tiel as a rehome if another home isn't found. My roommate is facinated by Greys. I'm interested in a Jenday. I know these (Jendays & Greys) can't be kept in the same room.

My main concern is would it be safe to keep either of these (Grey or Conure) in the same room as my budgies?

Neither my roommate nor I have any specific plans to add another bird anytime soon. I'm just trying to learn what I can about different birds and how to keep them safe and healthy.

Winn

Jogging around the block
No. Because budgies are old world parrots too.

I apologize again. I seem to understand that "non-dusty Old World birds" can be kept with both Dusty Old World birds and with New World birds without an issue. We just need to make sure we don't keep "Dusty Old World birds in the same "breathing space" as New World Birds?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Budgies are old world but not incredibly dusty. It will depend how many budgies and how clean you keep the environment and air.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My neighbour upstairs houses her single lovebird next to her single quaker outside on the balcony. I don´t think that´s such a big problem.

My main concern is would it be safe to keep either of these (Grey or Conure) in the same room as my budgies?
The problem isn´t the budgies, it´s the grey with a conure.
If you were open to it, perhaps look at a different species to set your future hopes on, one from the old world so it makes living with the future grey, and the budgies and possible tiel a non-problem. Though you will want to get an air purifier regardless.

Winn

Jogging around the block

Winn

Jogging around the block
Budgies are old world but not incredibly dusty. It will depend how many budgies and how clean you keep the environment and air.
So from the feedback it would be ok to get the Grey or the Tiel while having the budgies... But it wouldn't be advisable to get the Jenday while having the budgies.. if they shared a "breathing space"??
Thanks to all for the info! These are questions I have..

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
So from the feedback it would be ok to get the Grey or the Tiel while having the budgies... But it wouldn't be advisable to get the Jenday while having the budgies.. if they shared a "breathing space"??
Thanks to all for the info! These are questions I have..
Yes, but try to get an air purifier they work wonders!

Winn

Jogging around the block
Yes, but try to get an air purifier they work wonders!
We already got a dehumidifier.. out landlord didn't tell us there was a mould problem when we signed the lease agreement ( in violation of state law.)

But yes.. I've already been looking into an air purifier.
Not sure I'm gonna be here long enough to justify the purchase...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have had English budgies for over 10 years in the past. They do seem to have significant feather dust. I have seen it floating in the air, especially after shaking feathers. A few years ago on advice from my doctor I re homed them because of developing lung issues. Maybe English type have more dust than the smaller budgies. And yes I ran an air filtration unit.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Budgies are dusty. There's a fine, off white film where they are. It's finer than anything you can imagine, even refined flour, but doesn't clump ever. I run two high quality air filters. And while it's true I have eight, I didn't always & it was dusty with just two budgies.

Lady Jane, didn't you also have some other birds like a grey at some point? Might this have been more the cause than budgies? I'd like to hope so, though I understand that much depends on the person's individual susceptibility & some people get sick with just one finch/budgie/canary.

That said, I'd personally not add any more birds due to the mold issue. Some birds are really sensitive to mold. It can cause diseases. It can also affect human health & most of what's used to combat it successfully, like bleach, is bad for birds (& us). If you'd ever like to move to escape the mold, fewer birds will make you more desireable to a landlord as well.

I also don't believe it's fair to subject any bird, be it old or new world, to the most dusty birds (cockatiels, cockatoos & greys). Many people do it successfully, but I've noticed they're frequently in warm places where they can open the windows year round.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Budgies are dusty. There's a fine, off white film where they are. It's finer than anything you can imagine, even refined flour, but doesn't clump ever. I run two high quality air filters. And while it's true I have eight, I didn't always & it was dusty with just two budgies.

That said, I'd personally not add any more birds due to the mold issue.

I also don't believe it's fair to subject any bird, be it old or new world, to the most dusty birds
I have noticed some dust with my 4 budgies.. mostly when cleaning the air conditioner filter. I clean it a little more often now than before I got them so it's logical the extra dust would be coming from them.
I got the dehumidifier before I got the budgies and it has seemed to stop the mould issue. It was confined to a back bathroom and we keep the doors closed in that part of the house. The birds are in the front room. Vinegar seems to work better than bleach to kill mould.
Thanks for the information. It kind of supported my thoughts on the subject. I was concerned the Grey would be "too dusty" for the Budgies and was questioning if the Budgies would be too dusty for a Conure.

Again.. I'm not planning on adding any other bird species any time soon (definitely NOT while living in this house!) I appreciate the clarification of conflicting info I've come across on the topic.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Thank you.
Based on the information offered I have come to the conclusion it's best not to take any chances that could lead to negative health consequences for any birds I have or may get in the future.
That means definitely NO "New World" birds while I have "Old World" birds and NO "Dusty Birds" ("Toos, Tiels, Greys) as long as i have "less-dusty Old World birds."

I think my acquaintance will be able to find a good home for his Tiel. He has time still and is early in his search to rehome her. :)

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
The air purifier is still a good investment, regardless of whether you have Old or New World birds. All birds have sensitive (as in, much more efficient) respiratory systems, and while our birds might not appear to be suffering from any air quality issues, we just don't know enough about long term impacts and their direct correlation to various air pollutants. My husband tries to tell me that the filter for our HVAC system is enough, but when he pulled out the filters from the air purifier yesterday and saw the amount of yuck from just a few months, he changed his tune. :laugh:

Winn

Jogging around the block
I have been researching them. I hope to get one towards the end of the year.
We had some unexpected issues the past few months which put the purchase on the back burner.:(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Sparkles99 I did have a grey for a while. The feather dust filled up the filter of a rabbitair machine so quickly. I love greys but not the dust. Did not even know about feather dust before getting into birds.