• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dusky or Bronze wing pionus breeders this time of year?

Neopixal

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
George
Howdy, new to the hooby and have been researching a bit on what parrot would fit my situation in an apartment, I was about to get an eclectus but then I found out about the pionus! Read a bit about these guys being a bit harder to find that other parrots, anyone mind pointing me towards a breeder or two? Thanks. I’ve seen a few sites but they’re usually “too good to be true” type of sites.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
As far as what I can say about mine, I was looking for a Maxi, I found one in a bird shop in Chicago. I don't really think she was treated that well, she was supposed to have gotten a few vaccines but I never heard back from the guy that sold her. She's very scared of hands to this day, and I've never handled her roughly, so I think she might have had past bad experiences with getting grabbed. So I kinda can't recommend anyone. My best advice is to find local bird people who might have advice, and check adoption sites regularly. It took me about 6 months of looking to find one that was available anywhere near me.

They're a really rare bird in the pet trade, even though I find them extremely lovable. They're more "dull" looking than a lot of parrots, they have a more calm and subdued behavior, which means they're not as easily seen as silly and fun, and they're sensitive to dust and mold, which makes them harder to keep healthy. This doesn't mean you shouldn't keep looking, but just understand that they're not always easy to find. If you want a bird whose behavior you can predict more, lots of birds out there need a home and you then will know right out of the gate what their behavior is like and how quiet or loud they are.

5'saflock

Real Name
Five's A Flock
I spent years looking for a BW Pionus breeder and found a couple. Links are in description:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I've had 4 Maxis over my life, I like them and they mostly like me. They can be loud and even bite but it's down to the personality and what they've been through. They mostly are chill and quiet but I've had about every personality they can have and all of them can be worked with with a long term slow approach.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i know of a parrot store in illinois that has white capped and blue heads occasionally! haven’t seen any duskies or bronze wings though.

Lise

Real Name
Lise H.G
Here in NL we are currently flooded with them :( i want to buy them all!
a year later, but do you know if there's still a lot of pionuses in the NL? I reside in Norway and I've contacted a lot of big bird breeders in scandinavia but so far I've had no luck finding a BW pionus. Which is why I'm concidering importing my future companion from nearby countries.
if you know of anyone who breed the bronze winged pionus, could you please give me their contact info? I would appreciate it so much! I've been searching for so long.