• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dunking of food in water bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I don't trust water bottles at all. Like Lindsay said, they can easily empty to the water for fun or bathing or can shove food in the valve clogging it and leaving them with no water. I know they won't die without water for a short time but I don't like the fact that they wouldn't have any access to water. Plus, my Conures would die without a source to bath in :D
My conures are the same way! I am physically and verbally harassed every time I try to do the dishes. :whip::

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
My Poi has decided that each of her water bowls should serve different purposes and one of them is for dunking food in.

We have three water bowls set up in three different areas in the house. One of the "bowls" is actually a large, shallow tortilla holder that I put on top of her cage hoping she would use it when she felt like a bath. It's by her bowl of fresh food and a bowl of pellets. She ONLY drinks out of this dish. She doesn't put anything in it except her beak to get a drink.

Another water bowl is on her java stand and it is the divided bowl that came with the stand. 1/2 of the bowl has water in it and 1/2 the bowl has pellets in it. She dunks her pellets in this bowl to moisten them. She doesn't drink out of this bowl and she doesn't bath in it.

The last water bowl is a shallow stainless steel dish that is set up at the bottom of her metal playstand. She uses this to bathe in. She doesn't drink out of it and she doesn't put stuff in it other than her body. She showers with me most mornings, but she still occassionally decides to use this bowl for an afternoon bath.

All three water bowls have pellets/food by them, but she only uses one of them for food dunking. Odd, but I'm not complaining. I would rather only have to clean one a few times a day than all three. :lol:

Noma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Naoma
I love this! My greencheek dunks everything as well! As I understand it, birds don't produce much saliva so dunking helps them taste the dried stuff whether its fruit or the pellets I mix in with everything. Keeps him happy and seems like a bit of a game so I just change the water frequently. Why spoil his fun, right? Besides, it's not far to walk from his cage to the nearest sink. :)

woubette

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sheila
My GCC's are notorious dunkers! Rio, the female is the worst.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I love this! My greencheek dunks everything as well! As I understand it, birds don't produce much saliva so dunking helps them taste the dried stuff whether its fruit or the pellets I mix in with everything. Keeps him happy and seems like a bit of a game so I just change the water frequently. Why spoil his fun, right? Besides, it's not far to walk from his cage to the nearest sink. :)
Agree totally!. Keep them little busy brains occupied with harmless activities. Less chance of plucking IMHO

JP

LittleGems

6 out of the 8 birds in this house are soup makers, it drives me crazy!:crycry2:

Pidgeot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephy
I give fresh water to Alex every morning, then when I come back I find "conure soup" as I call it....usually with 3 or 4 jingles balls floating around in there.............

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Totally normal! I have given in and just change the water a few times a day. No biggie.

Status
Not open for further replies.