• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dull feathers

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
So my cockatiels feathers look dull what can I do to brighten them up I know more sunlight but is there exact foods I could be giving her more often? Thank you all in advance

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Sunlight is a fantastic enrichment but as long as she’s on a pellet that contains D3, she’s pretty much covered there. What’s her diet consist of?
You can also offer her more bathing opportunities and that will improve her feathers.

Also, can you describe what you mean by dull?

From your avatar, she looks like a normal grey. All normal grey females will have muted colors compared to the adult males, if that’s what you’re referring to. 0BE872D7-361B-469C-820B-7E20D66FAFDE.jpeg

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA!!
Sometimes they’re just really dusty and need a good bath. But if they don’t want to bathe, and just want to be dingy and dull… there’s not much you can do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to AA!!
Sometimes they’re just really dusty and need a good bath. But if they don’t want to bathe, and just want to be dingy and dull… there’s not much you can do.
I was just going to say that. :) A bath works wonders on a dusty tiel. I use a spray bottle and mist my tiels.

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
Sunlight is a fantastic enrichment but as long as she’s on a pellet that contains D3, she’s pretty much covered there. What’s her diet consist of?
You can also offer her more bathing opportunities and that will improve her feathers.

Also, can you describe what you mean by dull?

From your avatar, she looks like a normal grey. All normal grey females will have muted colors compared to the adult males, if that’s what you’re referring to. View attachment 382630
I’ll be honest I give her seed but I have been thinking about switching her over to pellets. I just can’t decide on a brand so if you have any suggestions please let me know. I also give her berries and all sorts of greens I forgot to even think about that she’s a female and they are duller in color so I guess she looks like she’s supposed to haha.

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
Welcome to AA!!
She bathes herself here and there in her water bowl she’s a nut

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
I was just going to say that. :) A bath works wonders on a dusty tiel. I use a spray bottle and mist my tiels.
I’ve tried misting her with a spray bottle a few time she absolutely hates it though so I just let her bathe in her water bowl and clean it out after.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, primarily seed fed birds can lose their shine. The best pellets are ones you can afford that your bird will eat. If you head on over to the Food Court, there’s lots of info there. I feed Hari Tropican and I really like it. My birds do too.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I’ll be honest I give her seed but I have been thinking about switching her over to pellets. I just can’t decide on a brand so if you have any suggestions please let me know. I also give her berries and all sorts of greens I forgot to even think about that she’s a female and they are duller in color so I guess she looks like she’s supposed to haha.
Some good brands are Roudybush, Zupreem and Harrison’s. But the best pellet is going to be the one your bird will eat!
I personally had success converting seed-only diets to fruity Zupreem, and from there going to the naturals.

Cockatiels do still require a quality seed in their diet. The ratio I use is about 40-40 pellets to seed, with the remaining 20 being any fresh food you can get her to eat. Check out our Feathered Food Court section for further information!

Spooky30

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordan
Yeah, primarily seed fed birds can lose their shine. The best pellets are ones you can afford that your bird will eat. If you head on over to the Food Court, there’s lots of info there. I feed Hari Tropican and I really like it. My birds do too.
I’ll go look I appreciate it!:)