• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Duh! I finally figured out that Toby is afraid of shadows. Now what?

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
I wrote in another post that our Eclectus, Toby, attacks my hands when I take him upstairs down the long hallway as he sees our shadows cast on the walls from different angles. He also has this evening ritual where he stands at the top of his cage, faces the back wall and screeches when we leave the room. I finally realized that he is screeching at his shadow cast by the overhead lights in the room.

So, do you think I can help him with this fear of shadows? It is virtually impossible to eliminate shadows without just pulling the shades and turning the lights off. :D

Any suggestions appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt was terrified of shadows when he first saw the massive shadow bird on the wall from the sun coming into the room. I encouraged him to do big wings at the shadow and he slowly started to work out it was him! I had been encouraging him to do big wings to scare off the sparrows that used to freak him out so he was familiar with this game. Now when he sees his shadow on the wall he gets excited and watches the shadow and throws his wings up and does all sorts of weird posturing at the shadow, it only keeps him amused for about a minute now though.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Goodness! Scary things can live in shadows! Toby knows. I don't have anything helpful to add, but I am glad you've solved the mystery. Maybe @Monica has a trick or two up her sleeve.

Sometimes I make a big show of touching things that are scary and talking in a way that Monaco responds to positively. Like talking to my dog, she would lean in and do kiss sounds and participate in the conversation. Maybe you can touch that scary shadow as proof that he's the boss of it?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@Shezbug has a great idea! :D There's also adding *more* lighting in such a way that shadows don't appear (aka too much lighting) or even training in such a way that the bird pays more attention to you rather than their own shadow.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Actually, I was told years ago most birds are scared by shadows. It has to do with the predator/prey reaction.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
For now, I carry almond pieces with me when we walk through the house. What is funny to me is that he almost attacks the almonds at the point when he normally attacks my hands. So that is our routine: we ain't goin' nowhere unless I have treat ready to stuff in his beak before he gets into a heightened state.

Today, I got my coffee cup from the next room and when I came back 10 seconds later, Toby spooked and flew into the window. We have sheer fabric covering the windows and he was able to slow himself down before he hit it, luckily. He's got an amazing personality, but he spooks very easily. We will concentrate on building his confidence whenever possible.

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Actually, I was told years ago most birds are scared by shadows. It has to do with the predator/prey reaction.
For our birds, the following are "bird monsters": shadows, brooms, dustpans and trash bags. Sometimes cardboard boxes. Anything wide and flat -- something that might resemble the wingspan of a large predator bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
For our birds, the following are "bird monsters": shadows, brooms, dustpans and trash bags. Sometimes cardboard boxes. Anything wide and flat -- something that might resemble the wingspan of a large predator bird.
Don't forget clean washed hair or a slight change of style, hair wrapped on top of your head in a towel, sunglasses and headphones....... these things all pose a massive danger too you know! Lol they are funny sometimes!

I think it is hilarious that Burt is terrified of me closing the blinds when he is out of his cage unless he is helping me and we make a big deal out of it and take forever to close them, but, when he plays with the cord and closes them fast and they hit him on the way down??? all is apparently just fine and dandy! :roflmao:

JornsBergenson

Walking the driveway
Don't forget clean washed hair or a slight change of style, hair wrapped on top of your head in a towel, sunglasses and headphones....... these things all pose a massive danger too you know! Lol they are funny sometimes!
Toby will grab glasses of my face and throw them across the room if I am not paying attention. He seems to think "There I saved both of us!". It is hilarious sometimes but scary other times when he lunges at my face with that candy-corn beak of his.

I think it is hilarious that Burt is terrified of me closing the blinds when he is out of his cage unless he is helping me and we make a big deal out of it and take forever to close them, but, when he plays with the cord and closes them fast and they hit him on the way down??? all is apparently just fine and dandy! :roflmao:
I realy appreciate your stories like this. They are cute and but also show how to think outside the box a bit, at least outside my box :D
We've had a couple of birds for 2 years now and I can see that what we've learned is a tiny drop in the ocean of learning how to train and relate to a bird.