• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ducorp Behavior

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Not sure how many Ducorps there are on the Avenue, but I have a couple of questions about behavior. First off, any ideas about the inverted head thing. Limoncello flips his head upside down to look at me whenever he's relaxed and I'm doing something unexpected. I thought it was just a weird thing he did as an individual and then I found this on Etsy:

1575482860917.png

Any ideas what's going on with this behavior. I've spent a good chunk of time trying to find research on wild Ducorp behavior. The seem to be very private birds, and I could find almost nothing apart from a few videos of them flying. All I got out of it is that they are noisy flyers and either have very little interest in baths... or are quite frequently ripping up and rolling around in something dirty. Unlike most of their wild Austrailian cousins, every wild Ducorp video I could find showed them smudged with mud or dirt on their wings and body.

Second, our little guy is shy. He had a terrible paranoia about cage doorways when he first arrived. He's gotten better about it if he's coming and going on his own, but he still doesn't let us pick him up in his cage and take him through the door. He will, however, step up outside his cage, especially if we're going to help him get to where he wants to go. Mostly though he prefers to get somewhere on his own steam. So independent! He will go to whichever of us is least interested in interacting with him. If I'm trying to get him to step up, he runs to husband and steps up immediately. It goes both ways. Whoever appears to want interaction is not gonna get it. It reminds me of Noodle, a Ducorp I met at a rescue. He wouldn't step up but was more than happy to let himself out and put himself away in the evening. Seems to be a D2 thing?

And he has a long memory when it comes to places. Once a location is associated with an unpleasant experience, he avoids it like the plague and if he can't avoid it, he hunkers down until the first opportunity to escape. Even changing the room around only moderately influences his opinion... Once the futon is dangerous, i.e. he got his sharp toes caught in the fabric and was "stuck" for a moment until he calmed down and worked it out, that futon is always a death trap. In contrast, Rhubarb has a memory of at most a day or so for things she dislikes. Then it's right back to exploring and figuring out if maybe some fun can be had or num nums found.

We don't really clip much at our house. Rhubarb is 100% fully flighted. Limoncello was as well, but he started getting very... pushy... with Rhubarb. She was clearly frightened of him. When he dive bombed her and grabbed at her face/wing with his feet, we decided to do a power clip. It was only the two outside feathers, which worked pretty well. He could fly but not maneuver to harass her. Well he decided to complete the trim! Chews off three more of his primary flight feathers on each side, right at the same level as the first two were cut. He's very methodical about it. Doesn't chew his other feathers or barber when the wings are intact. His wings are now set up with the same cut he had when he arrived and I wonder if he saw the job I did as "incomplete" so he decided to take care of it. He doesn't seem to like being limited to a few feet per fly, but apparently he's even less fond of an incomplete cut? I'm just so glad that he didn't have a full wing cut at any point in the past. It would be impossible to trim him without it becoming dangerous.

So there's a bit on my little Ducorp. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with Ducorps. Or other cockatoos...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We don't have D2s, only goffins, but Luv Bug has turned her head upside down at us before a couple of times. She always seemed curious and/or sassy when she did it, but then again she is sassy and curious most of the time :rolleyes: so I'm not sure how helpful that is. It was almost as if she wanted to see our reactions from another perspective maybe?

And Puffin will sometimes step up in her cage for us, but most of the time prefers to come out of her own accord and then step up from on top of her cage. And when she is already out on her cage already she will only step up if she offers her foot first. Often if I offer my finger and she will decline, but if I walk to the far side of her cage and offer again she will scramble over to me and step right up! She was forced to step up at her previous home, so we've always felt this was her way of demonstrating her independence. :biggirl:

Luckily none of them are afraid of areas that have been scary before, but they may be used to frequent changes around the house. And I'm very sorry Limoncello snipped his flights, even if he does think it looks better that way. :( Honestly, what would we do with all of our free time if our birds weren't stressing us out? :bored:

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Not sure how many Ducorps there are on the Avenue, but I have a couple of questions about behavior. First off, any ideas about the inverted head thing. Limoncello flips his head upside down to look at me whenever he's relaxed and I'm doing something unexpected. I thought it was just a weird thing he did as an individual and then I found this on Etsy:

View attachment 322254

Any ideas what's going on with this behavior. I've spent a good chunk of time trying to find research on wild Ducorp behavior. The seem to be very private birds, and I could find almost nothing apart from a few videos of them flying. All I got out of it is that they are noisy flyers and either have very little interest in baths... or are quite frequently ripping up and rolling around in something dirty. Unlike most of their wild Austrailian cousins, every wild Ducorp video I could find showed them smudged with mud or dirt on their wings and body.

Second, our little guy is shy. He had a terrible paranoia about cage doorways when he first arrived. He's gotten better about it if he's coming and going on his own, but he still doesn't let us pick him up in his cage and take him through the door. He will, however, step up outside his cage, especially if we're going to help him get to where he wants to go. Mostly though he prefers to get somewhere on his own steam. So independent! He will go to whichever of us is least interested in interacting with him. If I'm trying to get him to step up, he runs to husband and steps up immediately. It goes both ways. Whoever appears to want interaction is not gonna get it. It reminds me of Noodle, a Ducorp I met at a rescue. He wouldn't step up but was more than happy to let himself out and put himself away in the evening. Seems to be a D2 thing?

And he has a long memory when it comes to places. Once a location is associated with an unpleasant experience, he avoids it like the plague and if he can't avoid it, he hunkers down until the first opportunity to escape. Even changing the room around only moderately influences his opinion... Once the futon is dangerous, i.e. he got his sharp toes caught in the fabric and was "stuck" for a moment until he calmed down and worked it out, that futon is always a death trap. In contrast, Rhubarb has a memory of at most a day or so for things she dislikes. Then it's right back to exploring and figuring out if maybe some fun can be had or num nums found.

We don't really clip much at our house. Rhubarb is 100% fully flighted. Limoncello was as well, but he started getting very... pushy... with Rhubarb. She was clearly frightened of him. When he dive bombed her and grabbed at her face/wing with his feet, we decided to do a power clip. It was only the two outside feathers, which worked pretty well. He could fly but not maneuver to harass her. Well he decided to complete the trim! Chews off three more of his primary flight feathers on each side, right at the same level as the first two were cut. He's very methodical about it. Doesn't chew his other feathers or barber when the wings are intact. His wings are now set up with the same cut he had when he arrived and I wonder if he saw the job I did as "incomplete" so he decided to take care of it. He doesn't seem to like being limited to a few feet per fly, but apparently he's even less fond of an incomplete cut? I'm just so glad that he didn't have a full wing cut at any point in the past. It would be impossible to trim him without it becoming dangerous.

So there's a bit on my little Ducorp. I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences with Ducorps. Or other cockatoos...
I myself do not have an answer to that. I have a couple behavior books I need to get out and blow the dust off and do some searching. I also have copies of bird talk going back to 90's I want to go through.
Reason being, Grayson ( grey-grey) my grey, does this.
He 'll put the top of his on table and walk running his head
on table or floor sometimes. walks with head upside down...It looks incredibly goofy I know. But very baffling too as to why they do that. I thought maybe it's just a silly thing they do, but really, it's got me wanting to know too!!
A vet once told me it's because of their visual color spectrum of sight far exceeds ours. Their eyes are more tuned to long sight, than short sight. But vet lost me in the technical stuff about it... Soooo, research time.
I'm following this thread to see ideas and input... I'm curious
As well!

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Here's some wildlings for your perusal:

1575493851110.png
Dirty feathers over crop... Possibly belly feathers as well. Looks like somebirdy had a tasty snack.

1575493795036.png
And somebirdy didn't wash the ol' wing feathers!

1575493753276.png
Dirty nomchomper and crop feathers. Perhaps crop feathers are good for wiping the beak?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I did find a few clean birbs in the outside places:

SunningDucorp.jpg
Sunning Ducorp looks clean... Possibly after a bath or rainstorm?

CaptiveDucorp.jpg
Funny to me that the captive D2 (legbands) seems quite suspicious about the dirt... o_O

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have seen the corellas here having dust baths and really getting into it, I was told when I was little they do it to remove pests but sometimes it honestly looks like they are doing it just for fun. I also think that I see as many grubby corellas as I do sparkly clean ones. Any time I have seen a SC2 grubby they have been unwell so I am not sure what the difference is there.
I think the most I have seen of upside down heads is with the corellas and the galahs but I have also seen some people's SC2's do it as well. The corellas are always digging up the ground for roots and goodness knows what else.

Maybe it is a little bit like little kids putting their bums on the couch and their heads on the floor? They do it because it is fun and gets a funny reaction from the people?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We see that upside down look from Milton...but only if you turn the lights on after it gets dark...it's accompanied by him yelling, "TURN LIGHTS OUT NOW"... :rolleyes: