• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

duckie went outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
;) It'd be a lot less fun if I watched something bad happen to my fids I could stop. I was just putting in an opposing view point on the outside without restraint.

pdbird

Strolling the yard
also my bird is with me from the time I wake till i put her to bed(except for sex)she is on me,or at arms length for 12-14 hrs a day. there is no way that I advocate even having a bird if u cant spend more then 6 hrs a day with them,little less take them out side with u if all you do is have them stuffed in a cage all day. If you read my post,i never said to do anything except handle and interact with daily to get to point of being outside....harness or not is not something i commented on,but I will. Its a choice,we are all adults. to each his/her own. judge not,cause it's all perspective. for every person that thinks free flight is neglet,their is one who thinks having any bird in cage is cruel....live life and be happy.

pdbird

Strolling the yard
420 001.jpg P.D. loves baseball,even tho the Giants did not win,she was still stoked cause the Redbirds did!!(she likes the bird teams,Baltimore,St louis,Toronto,)we went to 8 games this year.:highfive:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Well sadly people do work. :) So it's nearly impossible to have a bird with you 6+ hours every day with an 8 hour work day out of the house, travel time, errands where you can't have them with you (stores that don't allow pets, cooking, etc). It's awesome that you do have that time! We'll have to agree to disagree there.

pdbird

Strolling the yard
sf 039.jpg Here is Protest P.D. shutting down the Well's fargo for foreclosing on peoples homes. We support the 99% and P.D. has been to several protest marches. She get's all excited and says her favorite phrases.:lol:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
You should go to the feathered photos fairway and post a bunch of pics for us!!!!

pdbird

Strolling the yard
That's just it. I do work,35 hrs week...she rides to work on bike,works with me(i have 2 jobs) people thought i was kidding at first,but now if i show up anywhere(work,dates,bars,stores,life) with out P.D. I get stopped and asked where my baby girl is. It's like that...not for everyone,but I really could not have it any other way. San Francisco is pretty progressiveU see in san fran we have naked people who shop at stores,and everyone smokes legal cannabis out in the open(u dont wanna see the P.D. pics from Folsom street fair) so we have never really had issues with stores,people or anything of that nature. ,.

pdbird

Strolling the yard
ballpark 028.jpg Here she is at Safeway,they know her by name and have told me as long as no one complains we are all good. see,our birds are just as smart as macaws and other "egg eyed"parrots,so they are smart enough to get whats going on,here is the best part,they are small enough that people don't really see her as much as say a Afrikin grey or Cockatoo. And on the rare occasion that P.D. poops on me,I can laugh and say "Ohh,that's why i didn't:hehe: get a big bird"(not true,but makes people laugh) cheers

Last edited:

pdbird

Strolling the yard
Also just for the record, P.D. is a shaman.....P.D. and I came together thru a dream I had. In the dream we were doing everything that we do today..it's very hard to explain,but if you cannot believe in your dreams,then what can you believe in? I am not her owner,I only caretake for her. Our relationship goes beyond what most would call a "pet". She has input on our activities and decides what to buy at stores,who to hang out with at park, she picks my dates(if P.D. don't ike ya it will never work out) and has taught me more about life in 3 yrs then i learned in 30. Cheers.

Parrot14

Strolling the yard
Great discussion here:dance4:. I believe free flighted or not it's a matter of perspective in raising n caring for our feathered friends. Some may agree and the others won't. Understanding what others' thought on what we do will help to comprehend the issue.

PDbird why don't you start a thread on how you treat PD... I will gladly to follow.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
there is no way that I advocate even having a bird if u cant spend more then 6 hrs a day with them,little less take them out side with u if all you do is have them stuffed in a cage all day. If you read my post,i never said to do anything except handle and interact with daily to get to point of being outside....harness or not is not something i commented on,but I will. Its a choice,we are all adults. to each his/her own. judge not,cause it's all perspective. for every person that thinks free flight is neglet,their is one who thinks having any bird in cage is cruel....live life and be happy.
i agree with you for the most part. i honestly don't believe that birds should be captive at all. i really don't believe in breeding birds for pets, though of course there are exceptions for birds whose habitat is threatened, endangered birds, etc. (and i'm not judging, i'm just saying..) because the situation we are in now, there are hundreds, thousands of birds that have been kept in cages for years, mistreated, neglected, etc. and these birds all need homes. it is likely that most of them would probably never be suited for free flight. usually birds trained to free fly are with their person from the time they are a baby.

duckie was a rehome whose wings had been clipped from the time she was a baby until i got her. because of this she is a terrible flyer. in time she would get the hang of it, and be able to control herself better, but as it is - a couple months ago i had 3 serious scares with her banging into stuff. i had to take her to the vet and at one point though she might not make it. i ended up having to lightly clip her wings, just the first few. she can still fly as far as before, it just slows her down a little so that when she hits things in my small apartment, she doesn't get as hurt. i look forward to the day when i can build her an aviary to really fly in.

also i see many birds at the rescue i volunteer at that would probably never ever be good candidates for free flyers. it's possible if people had all day to spend with their birds training, but most people have to work. so we do the best we can, and try to give them the best life possible under our circumstances, because they have to go to someone. it's better that they go to someone who really cares.

Last edited:

pdbird

Strolling the yard
I was just using free flight as example..not advocating.. I really just want birds outside and with their caretakers more. If you read my post,I only used free flight in the example of perspective .I was strongly discouraged from doing what I do with P.D.,but here we are. And i'm just trying to encourage more time,inside and out with our birds. Cheers

Last edited:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
p.s. do you have any flight videos of p.d.? i love watching those. ^_^ or flight pics?

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I was just using free flight as example..not advocating.. I really just want birds outside and with their caretakers more. If you read my post,I only used free flight in the example of perspective .I was strongly discouraged from doing what I do with P.D.,but here we are. And i'm just trying to encourage more time,inside and out with our birds. Cheers
oh yes. i totally agree. :heart: duckie is with me almost always. i don't have to work away from home very often. i am lucky. and i am working on harness training her because i would LOVE to take her outside when i have to go somewhere. for now, i take her in a little cat carrier. she seems to like it, though i think she'd like the harness more if she could ever get over her fear of it. ;)

pdbird

Strolling the yard
I don't free fly P.D.,although she can fly and will if we have to bail off of the bike..she really thinks the bike is flying..And she will fly from shelf's and trees to me,but not anything over 5 ft. Cheers

Pip

Jogging around the block
Lovely photos of Duckie in the sunshine! She will definitely benefit from having more time outside, even when the sun isn't shining :)

I've had an aviary built onto the back of my house, surrounding my patio doors, so my birds can fly in and out as they wish. Best investment ever!

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE

Status
Not open for further replies.