• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drywall!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I got home from work today and found that my partner had hired a guy to do some drywall work. It smelled really strong when I walked in the door. He had the doors to the bird's rooms closed, but no windows open because it's really cold.

I'm worried about the fumes! I've opened up the windows and doors in the rest of the house but left theirs closed because of the cold.

What should I do? Should I remove them asap? The guy worked for around 5 hours today with the birds home.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah that's so stressful! I'd wanna say since they've been exposed all day that they'd be ok at this point especially that your airing the house out now.
But the paranoid bird owner in me would take them else where to lessen their exposure even more but depending how cold it is would be a factor in their health as well. @Pixiebeak @Shezbug @Mizzely thoughts?
I'm so sorry this happened to you and the stress your under now. I went through something similar when I was at work one day and my mother called to casually tell me she'dbeen cleaning the carpets with chemicals including in my room where Nala was just on a whim even though I constantly told her how dangerous anything of the like could be.
Needless to say I didn't react well at all and we had the worse shouting fight we'd ever had. Thank goodness Nala was ok but I'd never been so scared in my life at that point just imagining the terrible ramifications I was certain was going to happen..

Hopefully this will be the same and they will nothing be and no harm will have been done.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @April And I should clarify There was nothing being sawed or cut. Just “mudding” over drywall. Which is why he thought it would be ok. But still, I can smell it.
I’m finding nothing about that online.
I have put towels over the cracks in their doors. Air purifiers on.
I can’t figure out where to take them.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Don't know. Don't like fumes or strong smells.
You can exhaust fan over stove and in bathrooms too

I have patched a few nail holes , didn't notice smell , not sure if was exact same stuff

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you @April And I should clarify There was nothing being sawed or cut. Just “mudding” over drywall. Which is why he thought it would be ok. But still, I can smell it.
I’m finding nothing about that online.
I have put towels over the cracks in their doors. Air purifiers on.
I can’t figure out where to take them.
That's the one of worse parts about having birds is that even the most innocent things can give off a smell that's dangerous to them its so unfair.
If there's no where you can safely take them then what your doing will surely make a difference and keep them safe. Getting the smell dissipated is the most important thing.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Ok. My partner just came home and what he said I was smelling was vinegar that he put in the air purifier filters! Jesus! He said the joint compound is low voc and the smell is just from the vinegar.
still, he promised we won’t move forward with the work till after the new guys done with quarantine and then we’ll all go to a hotel for a few days.
I think we’re ok. Still, I don’t love the strong vinegar smell for them either…:(

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh that's a relief for sure. And glad he's willing to wait until the fids can be safely removed from the house before more is done.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you @April and thank you everyone. I was having a mild freakout. This site is so awesome. Lol! :wtf:
You're so welcome. Goodness knows I've been there a few times over the years of having parrots. You're never alone with your stresses here :hug8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If your plaster is anything like ours then the most dangerous part about it is likely going to be the plaster dust if any is airborne from making it up or sanding it back when cured. Our plaster does have a smell but not horrendous and not toxic.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @Shezbug Yes. Apparently what I was smelling was as cleaning vinegar that was used to clean the air purifiers. I was getting sporadic texts and didn’t get it.
We’re okay, but next time will plan to get the birds out of the house before any more work. Just for my blood pressure if nothing else.