• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dry skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Lately Lucy has been having problems with having really dry skin where the beak meets the cere. It reminds me alot like when a human has dry fingers and the cuticle begins to get loose around the nail bed. Is there anythin I can put on this to help at all? Oil? Aloe? Any help would be appreciated.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
does it look irritated? Or otherwise bothersome? Do you have your heat on? You might need a humidifier if you do not already have one. Most macaws could use a humidifier. Aloe spray might help, I would not do oil simply because of the location. But you could use some, not a lot, of olive oil, in her food.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
No it doesn't look irritated just dry and I think it itches a bit but otherwise looks ok. Nope we don't use a furnace here just a heat pump and it has only been on once or twice. And I do need to get a new humidifier my last one broke in May and I just keep on forgetting to get one I need to sticky notes everywhere so I wont forget one. I will try the aloe and see if it helps and I have some Red palm oil on order so I will use that. thanks for the quick reply

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
I was thinking red palm oil, too. You can use it to coat seeds or pellets or bake it in birdie bread. Next time you have Lucy in for a check up, have your vet look at her skin and give you some suggestions.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Add ground of flax seed meal to her bird mash or cooked food. Regular showers and nuts rich in efa help like almonds and walnuts.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
I was thinking red palm oil, too. You can use it to coat seeds or pellets or bake it in birdie bread. Next time you have Lucy in for a check up, have your vet look at her skin and give you some suggestions.
I am just waiting for it to get here and she will be getting it very regularly with all her food especially with her cooked foods. Once I find a new vet I will have it checked out just need to find one I trust.
Add ground of flax seed meal to her bird mash or cooked food. Regular showers and nuts rich in efa help like almonds and walnuts.
I will need to go buy some of the flax seed meal for her. And she already does get regular showers and gets almonds regularly.
Thanks for the advice!

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Make sure it's dryness and not scaley mites that is causing this.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I'm having a similar problem on a smaller bird scale. My canary is itchy & seems to be preening a lot! I got a cool air humidifier, do I need a steam one? The vet didn't specify. He also cleared my little guy for having no bugs or any other reason to itch other than the dry air. Thanks for any info. :hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
If it is caused by dry air a simple remedy is a bowl of water close by allowing it to evaporate into the atmosphere. Just make sure you change and top it up daily.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm having a similar problem on a smaller bird scale. My canary is itchy & seems to be preening a lot! I got a cool air humidifier, do I need a steam one? The vet didn't specify. He also cleared my little guy for having no bugs or any other reason to itch other than the dry air. Thanks for any info. :hug8:
Are you sure your bird isn't molting? It's very itchy for them. ;)

Logan-- typically with scaly face mites, you'll start to see honeycomb-like formations on your bird, typically near the beak/at the side of the mouth, near his or her eyes, or possibly even on the feet. Eventually it looks very crusty and yellowish and it can harm the bird. Usually for the smaller guys it's easily treated with a single drop of 0.1% Ivermectin between the shoulder blades every few weeks. I'm not sure about the dosage for a larger bird. (assuming they had a mite problem)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
If it is caused by dry air a simple remedy is a bowl of water close by allowing it to evaporate into the atmosphere. Just make sure you change and top it up daily.
Would you suggest hot or room temperature water? I think I'll need to borrow a humidifier for my birds this winter... as well as for myself. I know for sure that my skin dries and cracks easier this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.