• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dry grass/Twine?

Shear Modulus

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I'm interested in making toys for some birds.
I was wondering if twine is safe for them? I know there's the thin stuff you get at the craft store, but that's obviously dangerous. A while ago I bought a coconut toy with some really thick twine-like stuff (the birds loved the rope) but I don't know what it's called.
Also something I see in a lot of pre-made toys at the local pet store is this dry grass stuff. Don't know a specific name for it but it looks fun, and am wondering if there's anywhere to buy it in bulk online?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on what you mean by twine. You can check out Welcome to cabirdnerds.com - to see examples of safe stringing materials. I tend to stick to hemp, paulie rope, and vegetable tanned leather lacing.

Grasses could be raffia, seagrass, alfalfa...hard to say.

Shear Modulus

Checking out the neighborhood
Depends on what you mean by twine. You can check out Welcome to cabirdnerds.com - to see examples of safe stringing materials. I tend to stick to hemp, paulie rope, and vegetable tanned leather lacing.

Grasses could be raffia, seagrass, alfalfa...hard to say.
Thanks, I was thinking of seagrass but didn't know for sure.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
There is Seagrass as @Mizzely mentioned. A lot of Coconut Toys actually use Coconut Rope on them.