• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dropping by to say hello

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi All You Wonderful People and Flying Demons!

I thought of you this rainy night and wanted to say hello and happy New Year. I especially want to say hi to Dartman Terry and his sister, Sandy, who provide a home for Dobby, a charming little buzz saw my daughter hand raised. We talk about him all the time, and although my daughter feels too bad to write, she loves to hear how he is doing. We are sorry he did not velcro to Terry, but we know he does love him because he always loved men. He was just bonded to my daughter, who looks like Sandy and also sings. Over Christmas, we laughingly decided if we got Terry a blonde wig and some singing lessons, he might have the cuddly boy right up on his shoulder, haha!

Seriously, it takes so much stamina and planning to keep a parrot long term. Life brings changes you never saw coming, and some of them are almost too much. Although it broke my heart to send him to a new home, he is the most friendly, adaptable bird we have ever had. I knew I could not part with my Amazon, or she would turn terribly mean. She also has scoliosis and a small heart, and I felt she should live her life with me. She continues to lose weight, then I get her back to normal, but in general it was a good move to keep her. I also felt Dobby would bring joy to anyone who is good to him.

Dobby was the favorite baby from the day he came home. He used to love to dive bomb the dogs and steal our food when he could. He occasionally escaped from his outside cage, and a neighbor sometimes called me to say she heard a microwave in her plum tree, and she thought he opened his food door and escaped. He learned our cell phone noises and sat on top of the curtain rod, watching us run for our phones and wonder why no one called, when we clearly all heard the tone. He loved to be in the kitchen while I cooked and never moved from his perch if I gave him some fruit. When my mom got Alzheimers, I brought him in his travel cage to sit in her sprinkler while she watched him. Her memory improved for the time we were there in her garden, with little Dob flapping in the water droplets. These memories are precious, and that spunky green boy is in them all.

When Terry and his folks picked him up in Seattle, I felt it was right. I knew Terry for years from this forum, and I understood his wish to have another pi. You get a good sense of people's character through their writings, and I knew Terry to be a kind and gentle man. I was, and still am, filled with gratitude that we have people like this among us. In spite of all our difficulties, we live in a world of beauty and wonder.

May you all have a wonderful, safe evening, and thank you for being here.

Ci

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Happy New Year to you and your family :)

@Dartman..... you need to read this :heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I just did and thank you Momazon for the kind wirds. The little buzz saw is the most social, well adjusted Maxi Pionus I've ever known. He does drive me crazy with his chewing of towels, blankets, soap, etc, but he also brings great joy in my life and I love him. He REALLY loves Sandy but I'm a great walnut provider and someone to hang out with on the big play stand in the computer room. He does love his sound affects, whistles, and noises. He also loves to announce he's Dobby in my voice and say Dobbys a good boy and others. I'm so glad you kept your Zon, nobody would understand and love her like you do and she deserves to stay with you till she leaves this mortal coil.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hello! <3

You are a wonderful person and when you hear about how well behaved and socialized Dobby are you know that you only gave him love and let him grow up to be a independent and loving boy. <3

Happy New Year! And let 2020 be the best ever! <3

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
See what I mean? Here is another great spirited friend! Thank you, Anette, and Happy New Year!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Happy New Year. I hope 2020 is a fantastic year for you. We all love Dobby here.