• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drinking water for baby mousebird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
I anticipate Mousey to be about 14 days old (not developing as quickly as I anticipated) and I am still feeding with a syringe ie. I put the food in the mouth and mousey takes it down. In between feeds I give a little water in the same way but mousey doesn't like this. At what stage will mousey start to need water separately?:confused:

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
offer it to her now. There isnt a date to start offering any such item, its always best just to have it for when they choose. Then the food a little later because there insides cant digest .... but with parrots ive raised they get water at 4 weeks in a shallow bowl/sauser

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Generally mousers do not need water until they are eating on their own. Then, they still do not take in much. The diet of fruit gives them all the fluids they need.:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Please,please, do not do the water orally. It is so easy to aspirate the bird. The fomula has enough fluids. At this age the bird should also be offerred and fed bits of fruit. it can be held with tweezers.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Thanks again for all the useful info. The word aspirate has come up in a lot of my research but what exactly does it mean to 'aspirate' the bird? What happens?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The fluid goes into the lung sac. It can kill them. That's why you go across the tongue. As you face the bird, from your right side towards the left.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
but what exactly does it mean to 'aspirate' the bird?
--------------------------------------

Aspiration is when the chick swallows the fluid the wrong way and the fluid goes into the lungs. What then happens is it can instantly die, or have repriatory problems, which if not treated lead to death.

The chick DOES NOT need the water while being handfed.

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
OMG - wait I so DID NOT MEAN GIVE IT ORALLY! I was speaking on terms of giving water IN a bowl - You never ever give straight to a baby parrot via a syringe!!!!!!!!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
a baby parrot via a syringe!!!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------

The bird is NOT a parrot, not even remotely close to a parrot type bird. The species, when they do drink, is just a sip which is sucked up thru the beak like a pigeon.

But, most babies/chicks that are being handfed have no need for additional fluids because they get their fluid from the formula. And this species of bird also eats fruit which is high in moisture content.

Thanks for clarifying though as to meaning the bowl :)

Status
Not open for further replies.