• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dried sprouted mixes

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
Hey guys, I know sprouting is the healthiest thing we can do for out birds but today I stumbled upon raw organic sprouted walnuts. They care sprouted and then dried at a low heat supposedly preserving most of the living nutrition. They care comparable in price to other high quality raw organic nut brands and if it is true that most of the nutrition is preserved what wonderful convenient option!

As I was researching the sprouted nut rabbit hole I stumbled across a site called BirDlicious. This site has MANY different Pre-sprouted and dried seed and micro green mixes. I red the ingredients of their seed mixes and not only are they full of sprouted seed and nuts but include many dried veggies and flowers. I am really curious about this concept and wondered about how sound it seemed to you all with regards to your understanding of sprouting nutrition? My bird really dislikes food with high water content and its small amounts of sprouts. I have no luck getting her to eat flowers so I feel this dried seed mix might be a good step to getting more diverse nutrition into her. Thoughts? Anyone familiar with this company?

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Sprouts are really great for our birds! Never heard of the company, but it sounds like something worth trying!
Personally, I sprout my own seeds, and I have a little herb garden so Millie can always have some leafy herbs.

But this sounds much more convenient, If I were you I would give it a try!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not have experience with this specific product, but in theory they would be slightly better than dried seeds as they would be easier to digest and thus absorb nutrients. I do not buy mixes of any kind anymore as there is always so much WASTE and I end up paying for a lot of things my bird(s) won't eat.

The only opinion I have about the company is a lot of misinformation, like that parrots should eat no vegetables, and some confusing information about pellets and vitamin toxicity. For those reasons I will not personally support her, but if she has a food that will be good for your bird, then its worth exploring :)

Since your bird doesn't like wet foods, I would also look into freeze dried foods. Some links:

Dehydrated, Freeze Dried, Breads, Mashes, some baked, and more (AA Vendor): Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot and Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Cage Blends, Bird Treats

or

Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Pet Bird Supplies, and More!

Freeze Dried (AA Vendor): Bodacious Birdie Bites

Dehydrated, a few baked things: Christine's Chop Shop

Freeze Dried, including some treats: Texas Natural Freeze Dried Products

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
I do not have experience with this specific product, but in theory they would be slightly better than dried seeds as they would be easier to digest and thus absorb nutrients. I do not buy mixes of any kind anymore as there is always so much WASTE and I end up paying for a lot of things my bird(s) won't eat.

The only opinion I have about the company is a lot of misinformation, like that parrots should eat no vegetables, and some confusing information about pellets and vitamin toxicity. For those reasons I will not personally support her, but if she has a food that will be good for your bird, then its worth exploring :)

Since your bird doesn't like wet foods, I would also look into freeze dried foods. Some links:

Dehydrated, Freeze Dried, Breads, Mashes, some baked, and more (AA Vendor): Avian Organics The Largest Selection of Organic Parrot and Bird Food Online Bird Bread, Bird Mashes, Cage Blends, Bird Treats

or

Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Pet Bird Supplies, and More!

Freeze Dried (AA Vendor): Bodacious Birdie Bites

Dehydrated, a few baked things: Christine's Chop Shop

Freeze Dried, including some treats: Texas Natural Freeze Dried Products
I think she would love freeze dried but I have 2 dogs with health issues and I can't afford it. I wish they had affordable at home freeze dryer units.

I am wondering if the theory is sound if i could sprout and dehydrate my own mixes. I've been researching and it looks like this is a new craze for people too so their making food dehydrators now with low temp settings. Anything dehydrated between 105-115 is still considered "raw" as it supposed to retain 85-90% of its nutritional value but its shelf stable for a year if stored in a cook dark place. I could also try dehydrated flowers and veggies too add to the dehydrated sprouts.

jeffsf

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeff
We purchase human-grade seeds from sproutpeople.org (US). From what I understand, once the seeds have started to sprout, their nutritional is higher than the dried seeds. We found that Kodi liked seeds that had just started to sprout, long before the seed leaves began to unfurl. When we went a day longer, she wasn't anywhere near as interested.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think she would love freeze dried but I have 2 dogs with health issues and I can't afford it. I wish they had affordable at home freeze dryer units.

I am wondering if the theory is sound if i could sprout and dehydrate my own mixes. I've been researching and it looks like this is a new craze for people too so their making food dehydrators now with low temp settings. Anything dehydrated between 105-115 is still considered "raw" as it supposed to retain 85-90% of its nutritional value but its shelf stable for a year if stored in a cook dark place. I could also try dehydrated flowers and veggies too add to the dehydrated sprouts.
Yes you could dry them at home :) Some ovens go low enough to dehydrate, too.