• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Dried scab on lovebird beak.

Fulcrous

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello all,

Today, while I was letting my lovies out, I discovered that Zelda (as attached) has a dried scab on his beak - likely due to some fighting that may have occurred with his mate.
This is indicated by several nip marks on his feet.

I am aware that the beak is a sensitive part of the lovebird with many nerves/blood vessels. As per the images attached, it appears that blood initially leaked from the wound,
formed formed a blood "bubble" and clotted resulting in the current scab.

To me, this looks like something that could heal naturally over time but I would like another's opinion as it currently does not look to be a life-threatening injury.

Beyond this, he seems fine and remains very active - demonstrated by flights around my room. Additionally there seems to be nothing wrong with current dietary intake.
For the time-being, I have separated him from his mate until I can come to a better conclusion.

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Personally I would visit the vet. Quite a nasty wound, and if nothing else, this bird may need some pain killers.

On the first pic, you can see the paler part on top is the actual beak that has been lifted, and under is filled with dried blood. The other bird must have gotten her lower mandible on that left side and lifted that piece of beak up.

I would just be worried about infection, or what happens when the bird bathes or if he knocks it on something and the bleeding starts again.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
That's wicked looking ouchie time for vet visit if for nothing else some pain meds.