• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doxycycline/ vibromycin

MrPink

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chelsea
Hello,
Mr. Pink has had sinus issues for some time and is being treated with doxycycline. He received two doses via injection but our vet now has us giving the med in water.

Has anyone given doxycycline in water before? Was it a blue color once you added the powder? And did your birds drink it?

Our vet is really knowledgeable and seems to think doxy in water is just as effective.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't recall at the moment what antibiotic it was, but I gave it to Sunny, my tiel, in his water. He was allergic to Baytril. So the vet gave me a different med that went in his water. It worked fine. I believe he had to be on it for 30 days and it was the only water he could have. He drank it without any issues. The water didn't turn blue though. It stayed clear. So perhaps it was a different med.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would not think it is good, mainly because there is no assurance of the bird getting the correct dosage, but I don't know.

I have always had macaws and they get injections or are orally fed any medication. I much prefer these methods.