• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dowel on Playstands

jamiebeth108

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jamie
Do your feathered babies have any foot issues with the wooden dowels that the play stands come with? If you replace them, what do you replace them with? Thanks so much!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Mine hardly use them, usually they are on the orbits or the window perches.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think dowels are really only a major problem when they're the only perches available. So long as they have access to natural perches in their cages and so on, a playstand with dowel perches shouldn't be a huge deal. Personally, I'd just cover the dowels in vet wrap to make them softer, and create size variance.

Dextine

Sitting on the front steps
That's so smart!
They're not pulling on it?

I went to town on my dowel perches with a knife and sandpaper lol

Zara

Try to be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud ❤️
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crash Test Dummy
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Zara
I recently saw someone had taken the dowel off and replaced it with a natural branch. It looked so nice. (Sorry, I can´t find a picture now :()

Khizz

Jogging around the block
I also replaced one of my dowel perches with one long winding branch. I was lucky in that a local pet shop collected them for their birds and already treated them, so I just got their unused ones. However, if you can find a long branch and clean it, you can do the same and wedge it between the bars. My birds love it cos they can strip the bark. I'm planning on replacing it soon.

Not a great pic, but here it is, just behind Jeff who is proudly posing for the camera :hehe:

IMG_20191030_145958.jpg

Khizz

Jogging around the block
Here is a slightly better pic, with marking just where the branch starts and ends. As you can see I have just wedged it in
If it was too big I would get a saw or a pen knife and chip bits off.

IMG_20191108_103714.jpg

Gribouille

all the plastic perches are replaced with natural ones in our cages. It is easy and you can arrange the cage very nicely to make it interesting and have your birds climb, chew, grip large or small perches, etc..

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I had a large play stand come with a dowel perch .... my large macaw jumped on and immediately freed most of it from the stand. The splinters went everywhere and I had a new respect for his beak strength. I replaced it with an extra cage perch.