• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doves

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

No, doves are not happy alone, you need to get a pair because they belong to a social, monogamous species and do not do well when by themselves. Ringneck doves are a domesticated species and do well in a home. They are not interactive, like parrots are, but they are the mildest, sweetest things. They are natural seed eaters and, as such, it's not hard to feed them (they do like greens and tiny fruits like champagne grapes, wild Maine blueberries, they love corn and baby peas and would peck at soft, watery fruits like watermelon, orange, etc). BUT because they are domesticated, they do lay eggs all the time and it's hard to keep them in the perfect level of calcium. And they coo all night and all day. I actually like their cooing but my husband doesn't. I have four: Camilla and Brownie, and Paloma and Rupert.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Lady likes eating the little balls off brocolli flowers:)

I have just the one dove and she does perfectly fine.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Dawn, is that your son holding her ? The pic is small & a bit hard to see...is she tame then?:heart:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Yes, that's my son holding her. She's pretty tame. She's not like a parrot..she doesn't cuddle or snuggle but she enjoys getting gentle scritches. Very sweet disposition.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
oh she is pretty..is the poo alot worse (smell) than most birds like someone said ?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
oh she is pretty..is the poo alot worse (smell) than most birds like someone said ?
They probably don't clean their cage often enough!!:rolleyes:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
awh those doves are so cute! i saw one at the pet shop awhile ago, sweetest thing! she let me pet her all over!

They have a BUNCH of them at out local animal rescue right now.. like 20 some, they found them abandoned..

Status
Not open for further replies.