• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doves

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Im wondering if doves make good pets ,meaning tame pets ? i have some many years ago but they were not tame...

also im wondering if they give off alot of that powdery stuff (like the cockatoos, cockatiels, & African Greys Do) because we do have allergies (i dont recall this being a problem for me all those years ago ,but my sons & possibly my grandson could have allergies)

Thanks for any help anyone can give me

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I've never owned doves but know a lot of people who have and from their stories and pics they're just as nice

I have owned Pigeons - Show birds not the kind you find in New York city pooping all over the place LOL

They were skittish but never once bit - i don't even know if they could bite lol but I found out real fast they are NOT birds for inside the house! the short time we had them They stunk my birds room up , and I cleaned their cage 2-3 times a day! but their poops are just totally different then the birds I have and they do stink LOL

but i am not sure if a Dove would be the same way as a pigeon or not.

but I gave them back to my b/f's dad who has raised pigeons for over 30 years and the kids still see them all the time

Matter of fact the Saturday after Thanksgiving my son is going with him to race the Pillar rollers again this year he won one last year I think he was in either 2nd or 3rd place :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I don't believe they are dusty.That applies to the birds you mentioned. You might want to look up diamonds or ringnecks. I believe ringnecks are considered 'naturally tame'. Somewhat..anyway. I think it is a bird that taken young enough, can be tame in the sense that they do not freak out when you put your hand in the cage. They are'nt the type of bird that you normally see perched on someone's finger, or hanging out on a playstand. I also think they should be kept in huge flights or aviaries, not cages. But that is my opinion. Hope this helps. This is just my limited knowledge of them. The only doves I have ever kept, were wild mourning doves. And that was just for rehabilitation,then release.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I have a Tangerine Ring Necked Dove. She's not tame like a parrot is...not in an affectionate way. But, we can handle her very easily. I can trim her wings all by myself..she even holds them out for me on her own.

I do not notice her being a dusty bird.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Thank you all so much ...That really helps ..

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Im wondering if doves make good pets ,meaning tame pets ? i have some many years ago but they were not tame...

also im wondering if they give off alot of that powdery stuff (like the cockatoos, cockatiels, & African Greys Do) because we do have allergies (i dont recall this being a problem for me all those years ago ,but my sons & possibly my grandson could have allergies)

Thanks for any help anyone can give me
I have two ringneck doves Harmony and Freebird. Harmony came from the animal shelter, I have had her for years. I kept her inside in a cage for years. Earlier this year I got a rehome male ringneck and I have them in an outside aviary with some finches and a canary. I just bought a large flight cage and will be moving the doves to the flight cage. Doves are, in my opinion. lovely pets. When Harmony was inside she would come out and fly around and step up. They do drop a lot of feathers though so that might be an issue for you. There is nothing like hearing the coos though. Very soothing and relaxing. I love my dovies:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok now...not fair. That is two of you with doves and no pics, and they are not in your siggies! What gives?:p

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I don't believe they are dusty.That applies to the birds you mentioned. You might want to look up diamonds or ringnecks. I believe ringnecks are considered 'naturally tame'. Somewhat..anyway. I think it is a bird that taken young enough, can be tame in the sense that they do not freak out when you put your hand in the cage. They are'nt the type of bird that you normally see perched on someone's finger, or hanging out on a playstand. I also think they should be kept in huge flights or aviaries, not cages. But that is my opinion. Hope this helps. This is just my limited knowledge of them. The only doves I have ever kept, were wild mourning doves. And that was just for rehabilitation,then release.
My female, Harmony who came from the shelter was always very easy going. Freebird is a little bit territorial, but now that she isn't laying eggs all the time, it's much better:) Here are mine:

Harmony when she was still inside.

Freebird after being misted.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Beautiful, thanks!:)

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Vicki ,can you put pictures of your doves ?

The feathers are ok , its that powdery stuff thats the problem...

I have a flight cage i just got , im trying to decide between a dove (are they ok alone ? i dont know if two can fit there comfortably ? see my cage here :gotchihuahuas - Home (birds page) Or a trio of Canaries or a couple of finches (Socities maybe) for my flight cage ...

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
They are good pets and from what I can remember they don't have dust.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
ooops we must have been posting at the same time :lol:
thanks for the pics they are very pretty & i love the cooing sound they make

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Vicki ,can you put pictures of your doves ?

The feathers are ok , its that powdery stuff thats the problem...

I have a flight cage i just got , im trying to decide between a dove (are they ok alone ? i dont know if two can fit there comfortably ? see my cage here :gotchihuahuas - Home (birds page) Or a trio of Canaries or a couple of finches (Socities maybe) for my flight cage ...
Hmmmm, I went out looking for a companion for Harmony because I wanted her to be in a larger cage and have more space and be outside. They immediately seemed bonded and close. I think I woudl recommend two of them. You can also consider diamond doves, but they are not as laid back as ringnecks. Canaries are cool also. I guess it depends on what you like. Do you like the coo of a dove and a larger bird more laid back bird? Or do you like the chipping and chirping of a canary and the more activity?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Owl finches are gorgeous but I understand that they are difficult to keep and VERY expensive. Here they are about $200 a pair.

oddbird

Walking the driveway
The budgie is gone to a young girl,but its ok as he has a good home ...

im trying to decide between dove/canaries or finches...the owls are cute ...

there are a trio of red factor canaries that someone is selling ,but its another three hour drive ...

oddbird

Walking the driveway
i like all birds,& have kept finches, canaries budgies, & doves,...many moons ago...but now i am married & my husband is not a bird person , so i need to work around him...he doesnt like noisy birds esp when hes watching TV (which is always when hes at home) so i can either get more quiet birds (he says finches & canaries & doves will be fine ) or i can move the fligt cage upstairs in the extra bedroom ,& still get an english budgie ...

its hard to decide...

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Oh, there's nothing like the coos!! I think I have a pic of Lady in my album on here...I'll go see...

Status
Not open for further replies.