• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doves are underrated

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are adorable! I had considered them before I decided on ringnecks. :heart:

I feed my doves pigeon and dove food from Hagen. They also eat some pellets. They ate my roudybush pellets samples I had very well. Niblets. My other birds were hit or miss with them though. I was going to look around and see if there are any decent brands I can try locally that I can get all the birds to eat. My flock is starting to snub Zupreme pellets and they have eaten those for years.
Do they hull the seeds or eat them whole? Or do you give them shelled seeds?

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've been trying to figure out what people "do" with the large aviaries of pigeons. I mean.. they aren't food, right? Are they just for showing? I am learning.. :)

Doves are adorable too. :)
Try searching for homing pigeons in New York City. It used to be a huge hobby/sport where men would release their birds from rooftop coops in an attempt to confuse opposing flocks. It's one of those things I'd love to get involved with, but I'm not sure it happens here.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I must have lost my reply to your question. They eat them whole. @sunnysmom

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Thanks. Do they need grit then?
There is a specialized mineral grit you are supposed to give them. One of the reasons I haven't acquired any yet is that...the diet is a little different, and there is more *stuff* to buy.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This thread was very interesting. I know nothing about doves and pidgeons. This was fun to read.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
There is a red grit. I have normal grit and also crush cuttlebone.
I love my doves so much. I can tease and inspire you with tons and TONS of pictures of my pretty babies too.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Hi,
Do you happen to know if ringneck doves go well with finches?
And how about a 4 year old docile budgie?

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Finches will pull the feathers out of the doves if given the Chance however I have heard that they could be potentially mixed in a very large aviary. The budgie I don't know about actually sharing a cage being a parrot it could do damage to the dove. I do have a very docile hen cockatiel that would never bite another bird and she would be fine with a dove if introduced to a fledgling/ young juvenile. She sometimes spends time with my doves and has slept in one of my young doves cage a handful of times. As far as flying and hanging out together most of my birds do well with the doves. Even Max who can be a bully at times because he is afraid of them. They have out time with all my birds except the Quakers and the finches. The finches only because I haven't given them flight time yet. I offered it today to my two youngest males from the clutch I had but they didn't leave their cage during the time I left their door open. I have had to track down a couple of the finches when they escaped though. I'm hoping I can start letting them out and thry will stay I. The fly zone and go back to their cages when ready.

I'm sorry I got off topic. It really depends on what you have in mind.