• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove with Splayed Legs

Gooseydove

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Marie
Hello, My niece found a 1-2 day old mourning dove by her apartment building and it was going to be trampled if she didn't move it. She couldn't find the nest so she took it inside. It is now a little over 4 weeks old. One of the dove's feet were curled up and because of it and the dove not being on the proper nesting material it's other leg is splayed. She has gotten one vet to take a look at it and the leg isn't injured (took xray) but we aren't sure if it is too late at this point to do anything. We have many questions and don't know where to look for the answers. If anyone has raised a dove with splayed legs successfully or can tell me of a source with good info we would really appreciate it. Our questions are as follows:
Is it too late to try and help the doves legs?
How do you keep the bird clean, especially the underside?
If the birds legs can't be helped, has anyone set up a cage for the best quality of life for their dove and if so what products were used?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Gooseydove

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have a parrotlet with badly splayed legs. She does require a cage that’s been adjusted to fit her needs (long and a short height vs tall) but she has no trouble playing and staying clean. First thing is using a folded up baby blanket for the bottom. Never wire. I find the blankets easiest to use and wash mine every other day. (It also makes the cage cute, which while less important still matters to me lol) It gives enough stability for the feet to grip and also enough cushion so the joints don’t wear too much. Keep food and water bowls on the ground level too for ease of access. I also hung a small hoop for perching very close to the ground. It’s so small that when she hops to it her legs are held into the sides so she can manage to stay on it. Even if it’s only an inch or two off the floor, it gives some feeling of perching. It’s my birds favorite spot.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The vet is your best bet ..theres been threads on here about splayed legs, cant seem to find them, I'm gonna tag
@Zara
@mythic55
Could be a calcium deficiency, A fall, a million possible things..if the baby is young enough, they can be fixed ...to a point..as for cleaning the bum,,warm water, then pat with a towel or paper towels..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here´s a thread with some links and info on ways to try correcting the splay at home.

As for cage set-up, @iamwhoiam may be able to give some more tips.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here´s a thread with some links and info on ways to try correcting the splay at home.

Apologies. I know I definitely went over and copied the URL, I must have forgotten to paste it :facepalm:

@Zara There doesn't seem to be a link :)