• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dove unable to defecate

Bdench07

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brant
Hello,
So I have an awesome 16 year old ring neck dove, X-Ray. About a month ago I started to notice messy vent feathers and it seemed like there is some swelling around cloaca. He’s also pretty much plucking all his feathers from the area. I took him to an avian vet twice and they were able to get him to go, but this is now the third time he is having trouble going (there’s been just small liquid for the past 36 hours, no poop). He still tries to eat but is spitting some seeds back up an hour or so later, undigested. They did checks on heart and lungs which both seem healthy, a fecal test to look for infection, which they saw none from my understanding. He’s been sexed a male and they took X-Rays so no egg bind and they can’t see an obstruction. His diet has been the same for 16 years, it’s almost like he can’t digest his food all of a sudden. He’s still full of life and was flying around the room for hours just this weekend before the problem returned. Does anyone have any suggestions for a liquid type diet I can try to put him on? I’m just looking for any kind of help until I can get him back to the vet, but I want a more permanent solution. Thanks,

Brant

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe baby bird formula?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Bdench07

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brant
How’s your bird doing now @Bdench07
I was able to get him back to the vet. They have done a barium test to see why he isn’t digesting. It took nearly 48 hours to return whereas it is usually only 6-8 hours. They’re doing another test again and if it is the same- they are afraid there may be some kind of blockage in the GI area.. possibly a mass or abscess, that would most likely require surgery :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear, I’m sorry. I hope it’s not as bad as they suspect. Please keep us updated on how things are going for you and your dove.