• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove or Pigeon?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I’m going back to softbills although I know I might not be ready for such a long commitment.
I’m looking the ringneck dove and I found a store about 30 minutes away from me that has them. (The store is called “Parrots of the World” but they also have small pets, reptiles and even owls! I brought it up to my mom and she didn’t give me a direct answer but she didn’t object going there either. I’ll see what my schedule is like because I think going to this pet store that unlike petco and petsmart let’s you interact with them so I can get exposed to all the different animals and see which one actually fits me.)
As for pigeons, my uncle’s father breeds them as a hobby (not sure exactly how much experience he has, I’ll have to ask next time I see him). He seems fine with my family taking one in. The good news is I live at a 2 minute walking distance from his house which makes a lot of things more convenient.
Both birds aren’t as demanding as parrots in interaction (correct me if I’m wrong) and definitely money. Being the child I am, I believe that I can bring him/her into college without a problem. (Which is probably not true by any means.) I do prefer ringneck dove because of it’s looks but getting a pigeon is better in my situation. If I went on vacation, my uncle’s father (I’m sure there’s a word for it and I just don’t know what) could board him/her. I can also get advice and stuff. Do you think a dove or a pigeon could work out in my situation? If so which one?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Hi!

I've raised a lot of pigeons and doves for rescues. They're very sweet and can make excellent pets, but do require very large cages. They also do best with a buddy of their own species. Here's a great website with lots of care info and practical advice for living with pet doves and pigeons:

Pigeon & dove care |

It's USA-based so some of the advice may not apply in your country, but most of it should be useful.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Hi!

I've raised a lot of pigeons and doves for rescues. They're very sweet and can make excellent pets, but do require very large cages. They also do best with a buddy of their own species. Here's a great website with lots of care info and practical advice for living with pet doves and pigeons:

Pigeon & dove care |

It's USA-based so some of the advice may not apply in your country, but most of it should be useful.

Thanks for the info! By the way, I am in the US so thanks for the link!

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the info! By the way, I am in the US so thanks for the link!
Oh ok! You mentioned owls at the pet store, and native owls are illegal to own here in the USA, but legal in other countries like Japan, hence my assumption. They are also a terrible idea for a pet. Maybe they're selling exotic owls?

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Oh ok! You mentioned owls at the pet store, and native owls are illegal to own here in the USA, but legal in other countries like Japan, hence my assumption. They are also a terrible idea for a pet. Maybe they're selling exotic owls?
Yea, I'm pretty sure they are. (Even so, they have a 4.4 star review.) I think they had them a while ago cuz I don't see them in the recent photos.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Maybe you could get a baby pidge from your Uncle's father?!
That’s what I was thinking! But do doves and pigeons act differently? (The only reason why I prefer a dove is because of their looks.)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pidgies are sweet, cuddly fluffballs, as are doves. I Have both. They are quite the same in mannarism food and housing ,,they're quite quiet, and non destructive like hook bills..Pidgeons are actually Doves, ,,Rock doves, I believe.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Pidgies are sweet, cuddly fluffballs, as are doves. I Have both. They are quite the same in mannarism food and housing ,,they're quite quiet, and non destructive like hook bills..Pidgeons are actually Doves, ,,Rock doves, I believe.
Do you think I could manage to bring one to college? I’m going in 5 years.

Zygodactylous

Meeting neighbors
Do you think I could manage to bring one to college? I’m going in 5 years.
It would really depend on the college and your housing situation. When I moved out of state to go to college, I was required to live in the dorms for my first year, and no pets were allowed except a small fish tank. Luckily, my mother had moved to a town about an hour away from my university, and she agreed to care for my parrotlet Emperor Maximus. During the week she fed and watered him and gave him attention, and then I would take a train to her apartment every weekend and do the cleaning and food prep and hang out with my little dude. It worked out really well.

If you live with family or off campus, you will just need to find a living situation that allows pets. If you live in the dorms, it will be very difficult to bring any pet of any kind, and you will have a lot of variables from other people in the dorms to contend with, like Teflon or air freshener use. You may be able to get your dove or pigeon friend designated as an Emotional Support Animal and bring them with you, but this will require a lot of research on your part and maintaining contact with both a mental health professional and your school's department of student disability services.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I had a dove I adopted from a bird rescue. No one wanted her because she wasn't a parrot. She was incredibly cuddly though. You'd open the cage at the rescue and she fly to your head or shoulder and want petting. When I got her I placed her in aviary and every day I would go in and cuddle her.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
It would really depend on the college and your housing situation. When I moved out of state to go to college, I was required to live in the dorms for my first year, and no pets were allowed except a small fish tank. Luckily, my mother had moved to a town about an hour away from my university, and she agreed to care for my parrotlet Emperor Maximus. During the week she fed and watered him and gave him attention, and then I would take a train to her apartment every weekend and do the cleaning and food prep and hang out with my little dude. It worked out really well.

If you live with family or off campus, you will just need to find a living situation that allows pets. If you live in the dorms, it will be very difficult to bring any pet of any kind, and you will have a lot of variables from other people in the dorms to contend with, like Teflon or air freshener use. You may be able to get your dove or pigeon friend designated as an Emotional Support Animal and bring them with you, but this will require a lot of research on your part and maintaining contact with both a mental health professional and your school's department of student disability services.

I’ve been considering making the bird an ESA as well. I’ll have to look into it. I know my grandparents won’t mind taking care of him/her either.

I had a dove I adopted from a bird rescue. No one wanted her because she wasn't a parrot. She was incredibly cuddly though. You'd open the cage at the rescue and she fly to your head or shoulder and want petting. When I got her I placed her in aviary and every day I would go in and cuddle her.
Awww that’s so cute! Glad you were able to rescue her.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I went to the bird store today and I was able to see Budgies, finches, cockatoos, Indian ringnecks, sengals, conures, doves, macaws, lovebirds and a couple exotics. One of the ringneck doves allowed me to give it scritches! Sooooo soft omg.

Reactions: Ali