• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am having an issue with my doves, well, not an issue so much as a dilemma that I wanted to see if I can get some input on. It is complicated to explain, but I will try!

I have a good sized outdoor aviary that should easily house 5 doves. Early this year when it was just Harmony and Freebird in a flight cage I went out to feed them and found that they had two babies. I usually pull and replace the eggs, but I missed them. I gave the babies to a friend of mine who is a professional animal trainer who built them a HUGE aviary with multiple feeding stations and tons of enrichment. After about a month or two of they were fighting and it got bad and one of them actually injured the other guy, so I took him back, that's Hepburn. In my aviary I currently have Harmony and Freebird and their 7 month old I think male son Relic, who I allowed to hatch and handled as a baby and totally adore. I now pull all and replace all eggs so there won't be any more babies. I wanted an even number and I didn't want Relic picked on so I got another female in August or so, her name is Charm. The four have been in there for a while and they do well. There was some initial bullying but all seems to be worked out and they all seem happy and and content.

So there is my large aviary with the four doves and Hepburn the single boy in a flight cage next to the aviary. Shortly after Hepburn arrived I put him in the aviary and he went after Relic whose father Freebird flew over and started fighting with Hepburn. There was a lot of wing fighting and I pulled Hepburn out. I cannot build Hepburn another aviary but I am looking for a really huge cage for him. I would consider letting Hepburn go to another home, but it would have to be where he could have enough space. I am considering trying him again in the aviary but don't want anyone to get hurt. I don't know that aggression with one other bird will equal aggression with an established flock. He has been right next to them for a while now. So, my question, should I try to add Hepburn into my aviary?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow, that's tough. You could try it supervised, but what if you do, and when you leave they get real aggressive and the one you love winds up hurt? I did not realize pet doves were aggressive, but the wild ones in my backyard sure are, so I guess they are the same. They are especially territorial over the food bowl. It's quite humorous. One has taken to sitting in the bowl to protect it.:o: But the others still try to get him out. Feathers were flying a couple weeks ago!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Wow, that's tough. You could try it supervised, but what if you do, and when you leave they get real aggressive and the one you love winds up hurt? I did not realize pet doves were aggressive, but the wild ones in my backyard sure are, so I guess they are the same. They are especially territorial over the food bowl. It's quite humorous. One has taken to sitting in the bowl to protect it.:o: But the others still try to get him out. Feathers were flying a couple weeks ago!
Well, that's my concern and why I haven't done it yet. They can be very aggressive but usually aren't when there is plenty of space. This one just happens to be. I think I am too scared to put him in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.