• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove care confusion

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
I’m looking to adopt a pair of doves in the coming months so I’ve been reading up on dove care though i’m not sure which information is reliable. For instance some websites say they need a bowl of grit that they’ll eat when they need it but others say they only need a sprinkle of grit in their food periodically to prevent them from gorging on it. Which information is reliable?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Any bird that consumes whole grains, including doves and chickens, and even ducks need grit.

The confusion is that grit is a very broad term so there is a lot of mixed information out there. If you get a water soluble grit you can leave it in a tray and allow your birds free access. It will not be a problem.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Here is an example of a safe grit :) hope it helps. You can offer insoluble grit in a foraging tray also. My chickens and ducks get their insoluble from the ground/garden. But I always offer as much of the soluble grit they want in a tray also.

Last edited:

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Here is an example of a safe grit :) hope it helps. You can offer insoluble grit in a foraging tray also. My chickens and ducks get their insoluble from the ground/garden. But I always offer as much of the soluble grit they want in a tray also.

Where do you buy yours?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie