• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Doubts about lovebirds chicks care

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe this will help: Bird Species & Diseases They are Most Susceptible to

I'm always washing hands between the contacts with the three groups, Aurora and Nublado, Sol (i said Sun, but is Sol lol) and the Chicks
You are ok to handle the parents and the chicks in the same room without handwashing. The important one is Sol, so before you go into his/her room, and after leaving that room.

I look forward to hear the names you choose :)

I didn't realize you're in Spain @Zara , I hope everything is ok there.
Yes I am on the Costa del Sol, things went bad very quickly here for us. I looked into the vet situation, because I need to know in advance what the deal is so that *touch wood* if one of my birds or my dog gets sick or has an accident, I can take them knowing I am allowed.
I hope you are safe :)

cenicoemir

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Emir
You are ok to handle the parents and the chicks in the same room without handwashing. The important one is Sol, so before you go into his/her room, and after leaving that room.
Ok!

Yes I am on the Costa del Sol, things went bad very quickly here for us. I looked into the vet situation, because I need to know in advance what the deal is so that *touch wood* if one of my birds or my dog gets sick or has an accident, I can take them knowing I am allowed.
I hope you are safe :)
Smart. But yes, things are scaling really fast in Spain these days, please take care. Here we're doing our best to stay at home and help with this whole situation.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It looks like you have everything under control. Sometimes babies wake up in the middle of the night or between feedings. If they are not cold or hungry then they are okay. If it seems they need food you can feed them. It is okay to feed when they have food in their crop but you should let it empty once a day (usually over night and during the longest time between feedings). I don't have lovebirds but with other small parrots I sometimes feed more often during the day and with a longer break at night.

cenicoemir

Real Name
Emir
It looks like you have everything under control. Sometimes babies wake up in the middle of the night or between feedings. If they are not cold or hungry then they are okay. If it seems they need food you can feed them. It is okay to feed when they have food in their crop but you should let it empty once a day (usually over night and during the longest time between feedings). I don't have lovebirds but with other small parrots I sometimes feed more often during the day and with a longer break at night.
Yeap @Laurie everything looks fine right now, they're cheeping less than last week. They're still waking up in the middle of the night, but the cheep isn't loud, I check the crops, feed when required and go to bed.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So cute! :swoon:
Enjoy every second!!! They grow in the blink of an eye :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Adorable! I just love lovebirds, they are just the cutest chicks ever! :swoon:

cenicoemir

Real Name
Emir
Hey @Zara!
My wife is in love with the chicks, they're really adorable.

They just start to reject the formula, not completely, so we start to feed with the syringe and finish with the spoon. Also, we introduce seeds after baby food, that they're eating by themselves right know. It's a good thing to reduce the feeding time for 2 times day and let some seeds available after these feeds? And about water? And fruits?

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, the best time to offer adult foods is right after formula feeding.
Once they are eating those seeds, best to have water available all the time for them.
Yes for sure introduce fruits and vegetables.
If they are starting to eat less during feeds then do one feeding less per day. Each time they start eating less, remove another. Once you are down to 1 feed per day, that should be a night feeding.

I am not surprised your wife is in love with them :) :cloud9:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gorgeous chicks! :loveshower: