• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milobilo

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Hey,

I just for a 6 months old male red bellied parrot yesterday and am trying to make friends. He was tame at the breeder and does not Seem particular scared in his new home. He is eating in front of me and calls when i am not in the room with him.

My question is:
I have tried to offer him Millet through the Cage a couple of times and sometimes i have Been in doubt if he rejects me or not. He seemingly attacts the Millet or just kind of agressively Eats it. He does not move when i enter the room. He is also in a temporary Cage where the bar spacing is a little small, so it can be diffecult to offer Millet through. I am in doubt if i am going too fast forward. Is it normal to kind of attack the Millet? Or am i moving too fast?

Kind regards,
Emily and Sir Pickle

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
What do you mean by attack the millet?

Milobilo

Real Name
Emily
Like he Eats IT very agressively/ just Bite Pieces off and doesnt eat it

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean my sun conure does that a lot too but more so with long veggie pieces like cucumber, it could be that he is acting territorial or is afraid of the millet, so maybe try offering some away from his cage or leaving it near by so ur conure can get more used to it or offering smaller pieces

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes, you're moving too fast. Yes, they can and will attack things you offer if their is not trust built up.
My macaw of 20 years, will grab and destroy food if he's mad at me.

Slow down. Offer millet pieces in his dish for now. Build trust.
We may not see the fear, but it is there. He was tame at the breeders because he trusted him/her.
He has no reason to trust you yet.

Offer ambient attention now, soft talking, treats in his dish. Do not try to handle unless he asks for it (I doubt he will yet).
Let him get used to you and your home.

Milobilo

Real Name
Emily
Yes, you're moving too fast. Yes, they can and will attack things you offer if their is not trust built up.
My macaw of 20 years, will grab and destroy food if he's mad at me.

Slow down. Offer millet pieces in his dish for now. Build trust.
We may not see the fear, but it is there. He was tame at the breeders because he trusted him/her.
He has no reason to trust you yet.

Offer ambient attention now, soft talking, treats in his dish. Do not try to handle unless he asks for it (I doubt he will yet).
Let him get used to you and your home.
Thank you!