• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Klynn35

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!

I am new to this site, so I hope I am posting this in the right spot... I have a 20 year old double yellow headed amazon parrot named Trixie. A few months back I had to move her from my parents house to my home, and ever since she's been pretty picky about her food. All she wants to eat is peanuts. I have tried so many different mixes but she goes right for the peanuts or sunflower seeds. I've tried zupreem, a Kaytee mix, and I've ever tried adding some dried fruits or mixing all 3. She's being stubborn. Anyone have any suggestions??

One more thing, when I moved out of my parents house she became cage bound because she only wanted to come out for me. Anyone have any tips to help break her from that??

Thank you so so much!

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Perhaps take out all the peanuts and sunflower seeds and use them for training or to entice her to come out of her cage? Have you tried chop? @Mizzely has a good recipe but it's essentially a bunch of chopped up vegetables. You can try giving her just that first thing in the morning or mixing it with her pellets first thing in the morning. (Just don't leave it in the cage for more than 2-3 hours.) Also, I've had luck with feeding my birds freeze dried vegetables. (And welcome to the forum!)

@Clueless ?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue 1.welcome signs.gif

What about the Zupreem nutty pellets? Hagen pellets have peanuts in the ingredients too.

@Mizzely has a good recipe
I love this article, super helpful! ;

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here are some good tips:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The bird in the photo doesn't look like a double yellow head to me. That variety does not have any black on the beak.
I believe you are correct. I'm not an Amazon species expert, but it reminds me of an Orange Wing.

@Monica ?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has liver issues from sunflower seeds and peanuts are NOT good for them (can pack a fungus).

Try zupreem natural and roudybush natural. Put a tiny bit of each in her bowl at same time. She still has a choice to make but it's healthier.

Feed veggies when you're there and can eat at same time. They like what we have. Carrots raw whole, sliced, slivers, chopped up or ground. Birds have a preference and you'll find it. Secret likes whole hunks of carrots and shreds then eats them.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Looks like an Orange Wing Amazon to me! (I have one)

The bird in the photo doesn't look like a double yellow head to me. That variety does not have any black on the beak.
I believe you are correct. I'm not an Amazon species expert, but it reminds me of an Orange Wing.

@Monica ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Ditto Orange Wing!

Said to be much nicer than double yellow heads.... or at least, not as crazy??? :laugh: More mellow temperament at least.

I agree with the others in recommending chop/fresh food. Try mixing in some sprouted seeds and save the nuts/sunflower seeds as training treats! ;)

You could set up a treat cup near the front of the cage and any time you walk by, drop a small piece of her favorite treat into the bowl. If she's okay with this, do some target training through the cage bars. You can then use this to teach her to come in and out of the cage and move her around easily.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your bird is an orange winged Amazon, not that that matters. I have a 26 YO double yellow head and can testify that they are hard to switch to new foods/diets. It took me 10 years to get Morgan to eat natural pellets.

Since your bird recognizes seeds as food, I suggest you sprout some seeds and try that. Here is a link to the sprouter and a mix I have used for years: Easy Sprouter
They have several parrot mixes that come with an Easy Sprouter, too: Bird Sprouting Kit
China Prairie is very popular with parrot owners, too: China Prairie

There are a number of strategies you can use to encourage your bird to switch to healthier foods. This is one from Pam Clark, who has worked with many birds: Pamela Clark's Layered Salad

Some things to keep in mind: be creative. A parrot may eat a food when it's shredded, not cubed. Some birds prefer chop (lots of recipes here and online) at room temperature or slightly warm as opposed to cold from the fridge. Hang healthy food items on a skewer. Offer healthy food in the morning when your bird is hungry. Add healthy spices like tumeric, chili powder, cayenne pepper, etc. Good luck!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your baby is an orange winged Amazon... I have one and I can assure you they're the best . My OWA Inca came to me in a bad shape but he improved... Amazons are quite food motivated.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
A few months back I had to move her from my parents house to my home, ....
One more thing, when I moved out of my parents house she became cage bound because she only wanted to come out for me. Anyone have any tips to help break her from that??
She is in a new house, and it sounds like maybe she doesn't know the other people living there well. It is not surprising she is afraid and needs more time to get used to all the new things and people around her. A few months is not necessarily enough time.
Have everyone back off and go at her pace. If she only wants to come out for you, that is fine.

Give her the sunflower and peanuts as a treat only when she comes out. Remove it from the food mix.
Before doing that though, get a gram scale and weigh her several days at the same time of day, then check her weight daily so she doesn't starve. A loss of more than 10% is cause for concern.
Try offering some raw sugar snap peas in the pod, my OWA loves those. You might have to open them at first so she knows what it is. Also try a lightly cooked mix of those frozen bagged veggie mix with peas, corn, carrots, green beans. That is a big hit with my girl. Her favorite pellets are Zupreem, Caitec, and TOPS. Oh, and definitely try a bit of scrambled egg too (you can do add-ins later)!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I want to remind everyone that you should not feed your bird peanuts. They have the potential of giving your bird aspergillosis, many peanuts have aflatoxin on them and the shell (aflatoxin is one of the deadliest toxins in the world) and peanuts (although they are high in protein) are even higher in saturated fats that contribute to heart disease, atherosclerosis and fatty liver disease. Fatty liver disease is a particular risk with Amazons who are prone to that disease.

Just don't feed peanuts to your bird - there are many other much less dangerous and much healthier choces.

Klynn35

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much everyone for all of your help! I am going to try chop with some pellets to see if I can get her back on track! I know she loves fresh fruits so veggies shouldn't be an issue. Again, thank you so so much.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she were mine, I'd start out with a vet check and blood draw. At her age and diet, she could very well have some liver issues already going on. To convert her to a better diet, I would first start out by knowing her weight and if she is over weight or not (hence the vet check). Get a gram scale and weigh her every morning before she eats for a few days so you know what her normal weight variation is. Then start by just adding pellets and veggies to what she already has for a week. Even if she just throws it all on the floor. Then, I would start reducing the amount of seed in her diet. Even if she screams and paces and acts like she is starving. I might even start out with plenty of pellets in her bowl, veggies at least once a day and 2 tablespoons of seed. If she eats all her seed first thing in the morning, then she has all day to stare at healthier options. She will not starve to death of 2 tablespoons of seed, although she may loose some weight and act starving. Over the course of a few weeks, reduce the seed content down to a tablespoon or less. She will loose weight, but continue weighing her so you know it's not getting excessive. Most of the time, a bird will not convert to a good diet after years of a bad one unless they are forced to either go hungry or eat their less favored food. If seed is present, there is no motivation to eat anything else. When I did this with my first amazon, she did the screaming and pacing and weight drop for about 2 days and then she started eating her pellets and eventually her veggies too. Within a month she was on a good diet and her weight stabilized fairly quickly after that initial drop. If your bird looses weight and then continues loosing for several days, then you might need to slow down on your conversion.