• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double yellow headed amazon parrot

QuakerYosh

Moving in
I need some advice on care for a amazon parrot I'm thinking about buying one just don't know

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I need some advice on care for a amazon parrot I'm thinking about buying one just don't know
Can I ask how many birds you have already?

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
What kind of questions do you have?

How old is this bird? Do you need cage size requirements, food requirements?

I'm ready, ask away :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You seem to be waffling between species. I suggest you take a step back and really decide which one you want before you buy. Especially considering these species you're looking at are 40+ year commitments. I don't know you well enough to say whether your previous purchases (that you say you've cancelled) were made on impulse or not, but it doesn't seem like a lot of thought was put into it before the purchases were made.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My DYA, Morgan, is 25, I think. She hatched in '95, but I forget unless I think about their hatch dates. I'm sure I've said she was older by mistake. Good thing I teach English. Anyway, I've had Morgan since she was 6 months old. I never intended on an Amazon was in the pet store picking up some supplies, but she picked me, unequivocally. I kept resisting, and she kept insisting, so she came home with me. The first 20 years were blissful. She was the perfect parrot, if such a thing is possible. She only bit me 2 times, both times to warn me away from my ex SIL. She talked and sang, bathed with gusto, loved scritches, ate lots of good food, played with toys, and enjoyed meeting new people. She used to love it when I scratched/rubbed her tongue (birds are weird) and rubbed her cheeks. When I was on the phone and about to laugh at something, she, somehow knew to laugh, even if she was rooms away. She's amazing, knows the names of all my nieces and nephews, too.

When she hit 20, her hormones kicked in. She began singing the song of her people (screaming, not talking or singing) and became moody. After several bites, I realized our relationship needed some tweaks. I trained her to use a t-perch, so I could pick her up safely. Fortunately, Amazons, IMO, are more honest in their body language than most other parrots: when excited, her eyes pin (pupils rapidly expand and contract), her tail flares, and she is ready for battle.

I can't get her out with my other birds, which are macaws. She thinks she's a harpy eagle. The last time they were out together, she tackled Daff, my scarlet hybrid, in mid-air. That was the end of that!
When bathing her2 years or so ago, I accidentally sprayed her with a stream rather than a mist. Since then, she attacks when she sees any spray bottle. I have to bathe her in a cage or in the aviary. I'm thinking of just putting her on the stand in the shower, dodging her attacks until she's tired, and bathing her. Amazon people, what do you think?

Anyway, she has been with me for years, and I wouldn't trade her for the world, even a hyacinth. I think Amazons are underrated as pet birds because they are so easy to feed and bathe. They love enrichment and are excellent companions, even when they're feeling hands-off. I never recommend that someone get a male. IMO, their hormonal issues are too much for 95% of people. However, a hen makes a great pet. Well, mine does.

QuakerYosh

Moving in
You seem to be waffling between species. I suggest you take a step back and really decide which one you want before you buy. Especially considering these species you're looking at are 40+ year commitments. I don't know you well enough to say whether your previous purchases (that you say you've cancelled) were made on impulse or not, but it doesn't seem like a lot of thought was put into it before the purchases were made.
I know its thefinchfarm ordered 1 African grey then next thing I know 8 cockatoos were ordered when I looked at them I didn't even add them to my cart then with flybabies something came up so couldn't buy the quakers either i had to cancel thorder I felt bad about that... But that's the explanation. One last thing I understand that they can live upwards of 80yrs old and I am understanding if I decide to purchase a big bird they live a long time I've got a budgie too don't know how to post a pic though

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
don't know how to post a pic though

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are remotely waffling back and forth between different species, then I'd advise holding off on an amazon. If you decide to go for it, I'd personally recommend a female unless you just really hit it off big time with a male and have no plans on ever bringing another large or medium sized green bird into the house ever. Even then, males can be a challenge. Amazons are moody. Some of them are really hands on. Others are sweet babies and when they mature they are hands off. Sometimes even when mature a bird will go a few months of preferring no touching and then suddenly want scratches again. Before getting an amazon make sure you are okay with either as you never know quite how the bird will mature. Yellow headed amazons can have a temper. When hormones fly they can attack. If you have children or a spouse that you are protective of, maybe don't get an amazon. Its not unheard of for them to go flying off their perch and attack someone. Usually someone they see as a rival. Or attack their favorite person to drive them away from the rival. My females are not at all trustworthy with other parrots. Honestly, they are easier than many parrot species. But, they quickly grow out of the "oh look at the cute little snuggle baby" phase. They won't like you just because you spent money on them and you feel they should like you. You have to be worthy in the bird's opinion. If you are pushy with your affection, or the bird just doesn't like you, you will bleed. You will bleed occasionally anyway because its an amazon and they have a temper. Unlike many species, you can usually see it coming, so once you've been bit a few times you can easily see the pattern. They do better in low key, quiet households that don't have a lot of excitement. Excited amazons tend to be biting amazons. I find my female amazons to be nearly perfect. The males can be a bit much depending on the individual. Also, one does not simply order an amazon. Personally, I would not sell an amazon to someone unless they were asking me questions about the individual's personality. They can vary widely an one amazon is not like the next.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would not buy a bird untill you are absolutely sure you have picked a species and read all about it!

All birds are different, even the one you favor may not be what you expected, but mostly you can read about their general behaviour. When you figured out what bird matches your own character, THEN you could start looking for a bird :)

but first make sure you have read al about food, cages, enrichments, everything there is to know. Become a walking encyclopedia for the species you want BEFORE you buy one.

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Unless you are very experienced with birds in general and unless you have spent time an Amazon, I advise against it.

I’ve had just one Amazon and that will be the only Amazon I’ll have. Some Amazons are wonderful birds, but some have a reputation of being difficult.

My Double Yellow male, Wasabi, is that difficult bird. He can be a good boy....until he’s not - and that change happens in half of a blink of the eye. I am not kidding.

The guy who had Wasabi before us did not know what he was doing or just did not care to learn to properly raise a bird; consequently, Wasabi has the common bad behaviors of biting, screaming and lunging. So, as I guess is the case with any bird, if you don’t know what you’re doing, you’ll likely end up with similar behaviors. You don’t want that.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I have fostered two different Amazons and admired and loved them both. One was more kind than the other, but both intimidated me in their own ways. They are not for the faint of heart! Both new owners were made for them... Kisses, head scratches, an absolute connection. We hope to get another large bird one day, but it's more about personality at this point than species. When the right bird comes along, we'll know.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Wasabisaurus :greet5:

-----------
I got my Amazon by inheretance. Something to consider for a floof that lives for multiple generations in a family. I advise getting a bank account setup for their care. Expect to have to spend cash on wood for toys. I drop a few hundred every few months so Buddy never runs out, that's to make his toys. If premade toys... expect to spend much more. I spend a ton of money on food weekly. Fresh produce is very necessary to care for any fid. I also sprout seeds & to be sure Buddy gets proper nutrition, I have a wide variety of these items. There was a cost involved to buy mason jars for storage & the necessary grains & lentils, beans & seeds. They are lasting forever, luckily. I owned a foodsaver vaccuum sealer before Buddy came but now I can't imagine not having one just for his foods. Let's not forget his Harrison's pellets & Ciatec cookies. More output $.

Please be sure to check out our food court & marketplace. Our AA vendors have birds & design for birds. I spent a ton of cash going elsewhere 1st & it was a mistake. I spent a ton of cash on junk made by box pet companies. AA vendors will often custom make things so if your fid has an issue w/ a color (as an example) say red, they can often remove & replacr that item on a toy.

Parrots are costly & can be hormonal. Buddy is between 27 & 29 (best guess). He's a male & can be so gentle w/ his beak. If he is fearful or stressed because of someone new he can lunge quickly. He has issues w/ men now even tho it was my Dad who was his 1st owner for approx. 25 years. His toys help greatly w/ his hormones. If I didn't have those his beak would become overgrown & would probably have a ripple effect on his overall health because he couldn't eat properly.

I love him forever & to the moon. I would never want any other type of a bird, if something happened to him, it would be another Zon. Buddy is a Mexican Red Headed. He is very smart even tho he barely speaks anything other than bird, he understands english quite well. My Dad & I both talk(ed) to him lots every day. He had been trained very well by what I built off of what my Dad taught him. He has work he does almost every day (work is his tricks).

I'm not sure I'd get a female only because of their egg laying. Female birds can get eggs stuck that have to be removed surgically. I'm assuming this is a costly procedure. It's only for that reason I'd personally not get a female. Now I'm not sure how prevalent this issue is in females but I'd fear it, but that's just me.

Let me know of there's anything else you may want to know.

Welcome to AA!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow I agree with this. We often forget to mention the cost of upkeep. You also need to make sure you have quick access to a few thousand dollars most of the time and a good relationship with an avian vet. A sick bird can cost a lot in lab work and it’s usually best to just spring for all the lab work and x-rays on the first visit instead of going with a try something and see how it goes approach. The latter tends to end up with dead bird or nickel and dime you though multiple visits and cost more in the end than if you’d just dropped $500-$1000 on the first visit. Plus follow up work if nothing was diagnosed with the usual bloodwork, x-rays and culture. Parrots don’t get sick often but expect to have to pay for something expensive at the vet at some point in the bird’s life.
Also, no matter what species you get, pick up a good gram scale before you bring the bird home.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
If you are remotely waffling back and forth between different species, then I'd advise holding off on an amazon. If you decide to go for it, I'd personally recommend a female unless you just really hit it off big time with a male and have no plans on ever bringing another large or medium sized green bird into the house ever. Even then, males can be a challenge. Amazons are moody. Some of them are really hands on. Others are sweet babies and when they mature they are hands off. Sometimes even when mature a bird will go a few months of preferring no touching and then suddenly want scratches again. Before getting an amazon make sure you are okay with either as you never know quite how the bird will mature. Yellow headed amazons can have a temper. When hormones fly they can attack. If you have children or a spouse that you are protective of, maybe don't get an amazon. Its not unheard of for them to go flying off their perch and attack someone. Usually someone they see as a rival. Or attack their favorite person to drive them away from the rival. My females are not at all trustworthy with other parrots. Honestly, they are easier than many parrot species. But, they quickly grow out of the "oh look at the cute little snuggle baby" phase. They won't like you just because you spent money on them and you feel they should like you. You have to be worthy in the bird's opinion. If you are pushy with your affection, or the bird just doesn't like you, you will bleed. You will bleed occasionally anyway because its an amazon and they have a temper. Unlike many species, you can usually see it coming, so once you've been bit a few times you can easily see the pattern. They do better in low key, quiet households that don't have a lot of excitement. Excited amazons tend to be biting amazons. I find my female amazons to be nearly perfect. The males can be a bit much depending on the individual. Also, one does not simply order an amazon. Personally, I would not sell an amazon to someone unless they were asking me questions about the individual's personality. They can vary widely an one amazon is not like the next.
I agree, the males can be a challenge. Not impossible however as I have a male DYH. 21 years old.. And the females tend to tolerate other birds better than the males.
IMG_20200406_191021.jpg

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, the males can be a challenge. Not impossible however as I have a male DYH. 21 years old.. And the females tend to tolerate other birds better than the males.
I think they are just variable with getting along with other birds. In my house, the males give me by far the worst bites. But, the females are the most dangerous to other birds. I've taken a bite from a female amazon a couple times because I put my hand in between her and her intended target which was another bird. My males don't usually go after other birds outright. But, boy I have to watch body language and trust that sixth sense when it comes hormone season before I even think about picking up my 11 year old male. He turned 8 years old and bang, went from a mostly sweet baby to bit the snot out of my thumb and was mostly unhandleable for 6 months. Now at 11, I can usually handle him during the hormone season and give scratches. But, its fairly random. Most days I can handle him briefly, others for no apparent reason he's beyond being reasoned with. My males are also territorial where my females are not. I have to have the scary stick with me if I'm going to swap toys or do cage maintenance with my pet male. My females I can reach in no problems ever.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think they are just variable with getting along with other birds. In my house, the males give me by far the worst bites. But, the females are the most dangerous to other birds. I've taken a bite from a female amazon a couple times because I put my hand in between her and her intended target which was another bird. My males don't usually go after other birds outright. But, boy I have to watch body language and trust that sixth sense when it comes hormone season before I even think about picking up my 11 year old male. He turned 8 years old and bang, went from a mostly sweet baby to bit the snot out of my thumb and was mostly unhandleable for 6 months. Now at 11, I can usually handle him during the hormone season and give scratches. But, its fairly random. Most days I can handle him briefly, others for no apparent reason he's beyond being reasoned with. My males are also territorial where my females are not. I have to have the scary stick with me if I'm going to swap toys or do cage maintenance with my pet male. My females I can reach in no problems ever.
Oh I agree with you on that. Poppers was a female. She liked all birds, and wasn't one to cause problems. She kept to herself, but was buddy buddy with grey grey. Whom is a male.
Now Pierre, is a male amazon, wants nothing to do with grey grey. Won't go after him or that, but stands his grounds. It's grey grey that I have to keep an eye on. He's jealous. Two males....lol.
He dive bombs pierre, when he flies around. So I really have to watch him.
The majority of females I had were pretty good at being picked up and loveable. Appart from The hormonal season.The males can have attitudes sometimes, not always...But I have had males just as loveable as the females, it's like you said, a variable in their nature.
I think sometimes it a matter of jealousy. I love amazons.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
When threads go on I always have to wonder.... what the heck happened to the original poster? I ain't seen hide nor hair ( not even a feather!) from this person since he started the thread.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
When threads go on I always have to wonder.... what the heck happened to the original poster? I ain't seen hide nor hair ( not even a feather!) from this person since he started the thread.
Hmmm I noticed that too....not even a feather or or floofy.

JadeEirinn

Moving in
Real Name
Jade Eirinn O Connor
As long as you have the time and commitment then why not, just do your research, find out what they like and don't like, what climate they like to be in, what foods they can and cannot eat and the type of cage they need

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Wasabisaurus :greet5:

-----------
I got my Amazon by inheretance. Something to consider for a floof that lives for multiple generations in a family. I advise getting a bank account setup for their care. Expect to have to spend cash on wood for toys. I drop a few hundred every few months so Buddy never runs out, that's to make his toys. If premade toys... expect to spend much more. I spend a ton of money on food weekly. Fresh produce is very necessary to care for any fid. I also sprout seeds & to be sure Buddy gets proper nutrition, I have a wide variety of these items. There was a cost involved to buy mason jars for storage & the necessary grains & lentils, beans & seeds. They are lasting forever, luckily. I owned a foodsaver vaccuum sealer before Buddy came but now I can't imagine not having one just for his foods. Let's not forget his Harrison's pellets & Ciatec cookies. More output $.

Please be sure to check out our food court & marketplace. Our AA vendors have birds & design for birds. I spent a ton of cash going elsewhere 1st & it was a mistake. I spent a ton of cash on junk made by box pet companies. AA vendors will often custom make things so if your fid has an issue w/ a color (as an example) say red, they can often remove & replacr that item on a toy.

Parrots are costly & can be hormonal. Buddy is between 27 & 29 (best guess). He's a male & can be so gentle w/ his beak. If he is fearful or stressed because of someone new he can lunge quickly. He has issues w/ men now even tho it was my Dad who was his 1st owner for approx. 25 years. His toys help greatly w/ his hormones. If I didn't have those his beak would become overgrown & would probably have a ripple effect on his overall health because he couldn't eat properly.

I love him forever & to the moon. I would never want any other type of a bird, if something happened to him, it would be another Zon. Buddy is a Mexican Red Headed. He is very smart even tho he barely speaks anything other than bird, he understands english quite well. My Dad & I both talk(ed) to him lots every day. He had been trained very well by what I built off of what my Dad taught him. He has work he does almost every day (work is his tricks).

I'm not sure I'd get a female only because of their egg laying. Female birds can get eggs stuck that have to be removed surgically. I'm assuming this is a costly procedure. It's only for that reason I'd personally not get a female. Now I'm not sure how prevalent this issue is in females but I'd fear it, but that's just me.

Let me know of there's anything else you may want to know.

Welcome to AA!

Thank you for your response, but I am not new here. I am just not around much. I pop in to keep up on someone’s bird who was sick. We’ve had Wasabi for about 14 years. Next month is the anniversary of his adoption. Some days it feels more like 140 years.