• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double Trouble

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Funny story. The long of it... ok, no. The short of it is that the bird store where Norma (1) came from, and where she was boarded for a week recently, approached me with an offer to adopt, for free, a quaker that was relinquished to them. The family has had a baby and the little one named Lovie (5 1/2) has become nippy. The bird people had found no unreasonable nippyness with them, Lovie has been with them about 2ish weeks. I have ordered a DNA test on it, and if it is female it can come live with me, I think.

Already took in a foster parakeet, which lives in its own mansion cage and is in my daughters bedroom until she tires of him.

Am I truly doubling the noise level? Am I nuts for taking in a bird with unknown temperament? Apparently it can speak a few phrases, so it must have bonded pretty well before. I have the room-ish. It would live in the overflow cage, which is 26w x 36h x 20d. It typically sits in my other daughter's bedroom and is used as a quiet break option, when Norma needs time away from the household noise, or when we need a Norma break for a zoom meeting or such. Works wonderfully and is used about once a week. This cage would then come downstairs and start in the dining room and be eventually moved near Norma's main cage. They would not be rooming together until I was absolutely sure that they have bonded in a loving manner.

My chief concern is losing my bond with Norma, which is the reason the parakeet was moved out of her sight in the first place. Would love your wisdom and advice on the situation.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump8:

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Why are you concered about your bond with Norma? It COULD change, or it COULD not change :) it also depends on your own behaviour ofcourse.

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Why are you concered about your bond with Norma? It COULD change, or it COULD not change :) it also depends on your own behaviour ofcourse.
So when the foster parakeet came here she was 7 months old and had been with me for 4. The little guy fell in love with her immediately, and adored her, longed to be near her. Norma thought about having him for breakfast, and displayed several signs of destructive fascination during the 5 months they'd been side by side. They never shared a cage, obviously. But she also wasn't interested in me anymore, not until he was put into a different room out of sight. She was a bit obsessed with him, and any time i tried to bond with her away from her main cage, she contact called him incessantly. Now that he's in a different bedroom on a different level of the house, it's calmed down and she's interested in spending time with me again.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I understand what you mean, and i suppose these things happen. But that doesnt mean the same thing will happen with the new parrot ;-) AND.. you now have two rooms ;-) if things dont work out with Norma, you can always house her with the parakeet?

aweb

Meeting neighbors
I understand what you mean, and i suppose these things happen. But that doesnt mean the same thing will happen with the new parrot ;-) AND.. you now have two rooms ;-) if things dont work out with Norma, you can always house her with the parakeet?
No, that's not an option. And from the lack of responses here I read between the lines that it's not a good idea. I will take that into account. I suppose at this time I'm hoping the little orphan is a boy, in which case I can stop worrying about it all.

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Well, he's a he. So that ends the discussion I suppose. I'm irrationally sad about it.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 8 birds, 7 are Quakers, 2 of the 7 live together, yes they are bonded to each other, but they still interact with me