• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Double Feather?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Today I was replacing the paper on Kiwi and Blizzards' cage, and I found this odd feather. Its one of Blizzard's feathers and I'm wondering why it looks the way it does.
20200321_084155.jpg 20200321_084140.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's an oddball, one you probably will never see again. Strange feathers just happen sometimes.

@Ripshod Yours is very common, almost all my macaws have them and I'll get a picture in a bit. It's called an afterfeather. :D It's a healthy bird thing when they are big.

Rosie had two super strange feathers. One that was a mute pink with a white vein and always grew in half deformed. She would molt it and it would grow the same again, sometimes split in two. Another feather that had no center shaft and it grew like hair. I would trim it like a hair cut. LOL

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Normal feather
20200322_071629.jpg

Flip it over
20200322_071639.jpg

See the poof?
20200322_071703.jpg

After feather
20200322_071912.jpg

This is a small one but they can be rather large depending on where the feather came from. This is a feather from the back of Korbel's neck.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah, that feather is exactly the same as mine in construction. Wonder why my av had never seen one before(?).
I know a lot more than my vet when it comes to feathers. :D They stare at the whole bird, usually rather angry birds. :laugh: They know a pretty good deal about the front side of the feathers but they don't see the backsides often. ;)